Question of color

NagemTX

Dragon Chicken
Apr 14, 2022
Angleton TX
My Coop
My Coop
I have been searching for info on a color combination that I find very nice but seams to be rare in established lines of chicken breeds. The color seams to be a blue base color with red or gold lacing. Wondering what it would be called, how to achieve it and if it could breed true once achieved.

Exampled of the color is seen in Whiting true blues, EEs, and production blues.

Pic from Dragonfly Farms, a Whiting true blue.
DSC_1789+(1).jpg

Exampled of the color is seen in Whiting true blues, EEs, and production blues.

Pic from Dragonfly Farms, a Whiting true blue.

I can find "Lemon Blue" in Old English Game bantams. Here's a thread with examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lemon-blue-old-english-game-bantam.639226/

Lemon Blue is based on the Birchen pattern, with gold rather than silver, and the blue gene diluting the black.

As regards Production Blues, I think they are based on the same set of genes as Black Sexlinks, plus the blue gene. Black Sexlinks are typically black with red leakage, so a Production Blue might be genetically black, diluted to blue, with leakage in red or gold.

I can find "Lemon Blue" in Old English Game bantams. Here's a thread with examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lemon-blue-old-english-game-bantam.639226/

Lemon Blue is based on the Birchen pattern, with gold rather than silver, and the blue gene diluting the black.

As regards Production Blues, I think they are based on the same set of genes as Black Sexlinks, plus the blue gene. Black Sexlinks are typically black with red leakage, so a Production Blue might be genetically black, diluted to blue, with leakage in red or gold.
Thank you for that info. I didn't even consider it might be close to that color! Looking further in to Production Blue it seems they are made from a cross of RIR and Blue Australorps.

Thank you for that info. I didn't even consider it might be close to that color! Looking further in to Production Blue it seems they are made from a cross of RIR and Blue Australorps.
Yes, that's also what I found about Production Blue.

The most common Black Sexlinks are from RIR and Barred Rock, but the color genes in the females come out about the same either way: females with no barring, one copy of E (Extended Black), red leakage from the Rhode Island Red father. (If the Australorp was the father, the leakage might be silver instead, but you were talking about ones with red or gold.)

Back
Top Bottom