Question on Canker & Fish Zole Treatment

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Krazy4Chicks, Apr 4, 2018.

1. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I would try to get it out.

2. Krazy4Chicks

Krazy4Chicks Songster

Feb 11, 2014
    Castaic, California
    Okay - I will try tomorrow. Thanks again for all of your help! :thumbsup

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    I agree with Casportpony, two more days on the metronidazole then stop. If you pull the infection out it may bleed. If you do that, I STRONGLY urge you to swab her mouth where the lesion or hole is/was with IODINE before and after removal, and continue swabbing until there is no further sign of canker in her mouth or elsewhere.

4. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @dawg53, I meant two days past cessation, so another 5-8 days. Based on my passed experience with what I have seen here, I think it looks more like a bacterial infection than canker. :idunno

Coop de Grass likes this.
  5. Krazy4Chicks

Krazy4Chicks Songster

Feb 11, 2014
    Castaic, California
    Thanks for your input too! Yeah, I was wondering if it was a bacterial infection rather than canker also. The problem is that the cheesy gunk goes way down into her jaw area and it is hard to the touch, so I’m sure it will be impossible to get all of the gunk out (with exception to what I can see at the opening). Poor baby - she’s only 8 months old.

BTW - she’s eating, drinking, pooping, and laying (everyday) just fine. The only thing I have noticed is that she can’t see well (looking downwards) on that side of her face - probably due to the lump in her cheek/jaw area. :hmm

6. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Another option would be to lance it and remove the pus.

7. Krazy4Chicks

Krazy4Chicks Songster

Feb 11, 2014
    Castaic, California
    OMG - I would love to be able to do that, if I wasn’t such a chicken - lol! I’d be afraid of hurting her somehow. And wouldn’t I need to close up the wound somehow? I hope the Fish Zole can penetrate this darn stuff and get it to finally heal up! :barnie

8. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Poultry pus is not like mammal pus, it does need to be removed. :( Do you ave any friends that are nurses?

Edited to add:
    Poultry pus is a firm cheese like substance, mammal pus, like when a cat gets an abscess, is liquid.

9. Krazy4Chicks

Krazy4Chicks Songster

Feb 11, 2014
    Castaic, California
    Actually, my daughter is an RN, but not sure when she could come over and help me. Yes, this is definitely a firm cheesy substance. So without lancing it, I’m guessing it won’t go away? Ugh!!!

Are there any videos that show how to do this type of thing??

10. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    No, it usually doesn't go away. And the hole it at the top, right? If she were mine I would make a small incision at the bottom of the lump and remove the pus from there. It should then heal up on it's own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: