Question on Chick Bedding

K7 Menagerie

Songster
11 Years
May 6, 2008
Bend, OR
I have always used pine shavings in the past, but I am getting a batch of gold laced Wyandottes this week and the info sheet from the hatchery suggested peat moss as bedding material. Does anyone have any experience or input on this?

I just use paper towels, but I have to change them .. ALOT.

I might try pine shavings next time...
smile.png

I would think it would be dustier and harder to clean. I use giant bags of peat moss in my garden and the stuff gets everywhere. It's almost like trying to move flour around but brown. It probably wouldn't be any worse than sawdust but then I don't use sawdust much around animals because I think it's too dusty.

Pine shavings are nothing compared to plain sawdust or peat moss. Plus if you find your shavings too dusty go get a different brand. There are nearly completely nondusty shavings. I've used them when living with someone who had allergies and asthma. You just have to try out a few brands. Find one that's better screened and uses larger pieces.

I like to use paper towels when the chicks first hatch,then after they get their legs under themselves good,I use newspaper,but like Will says,its all good

Back
Top Bottom