Question on hatching quail and chicks

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
I was given some Celadon quail eggs from someone I hatched chicks for. I know nothing about quail. Been reading some but have some questions. I heard they hatch between day 16-18. I am going to be gone late day 13 to early day 15. I have someone adding water to the incubator. I was going to remove the turner on day 13 and bump humidity on day 15. Does that sound ok?

How long do quail take to go from pip to zip? I know with chicks it can be up to 24 hrs. And do they zip quick like chickens or slower like ducks?

I use a MHP with my chicks are quail ok with that? And I use a nipple waterer, vertical, with my chicks so they barely have to touch it and get water, will the quail be able to use it?

I bought game bird started but the crumble look kind of big. Do I need to break it down more?

They are on day 11 and look good. Had 9, but 1 had a detached air cell so never started and 1 had a crack only seen when candling so even though I put wax on the crack it quit. So I have 7 going strong

I was given some Celadon quail eggs from someone I hatched chicks for. I know nothing about quail. Been reading some but have some questions. I heard they hatch between day 16-18. I am going to be gone late day 13 to early day 15. I have someone adding water to the incubator. I was going to remove the turner on day 13 and bump humidity on day 15. Does that sound ok?

How long do quail take to go from pip to zip? I know with chicks it can be up to 24 hrs. And do they zip quick like chickens or slower like ducks?

I use a MHP with my chicks are quail ok with that? And I use a nipple waterer, vertical, with my chicks so they barely have to touch it and get water, will the quail be able to use it?

I bought game bird started but the crumble look kind of big. Do I need to break it down more?

They are on day 11 and look good. Had 9, but 1 had a detached air cell so never started and 1 had a crack only seen when candling so even though I put wax on the crack it quit. So I have 7 going strong
Hello, I must say that imo everytime I put quail into lockdown is day 15. Putting them into lockdown at the end of day 15 should be fine, but just make sure that who ever is checking on the eggs looks fir any pips. Them they should turn off the turner. If you don't like that idea it's also probably fine to put them into lockdown day 13. I know someone who put their Gamble quail into lockdown about a week early and they hatched fine. Sometimes I actually do what's called a no turn hatch and I never turn the eggs.

Sometimes quail are pipped and out in an 39 minutes or can take as long as a duck egg when hatching. It seems to depend completely on the individual chuck and how strong they are and how badly they want to get out.

I usually feed newly hatched quail turkey starter and that works fine. Also this is all from my experience and my opinion on the subject of quail and their chicks. So be aware other people might say the complete opposite and argue about my opinion.

Also I usually have mi incubator at 37.4 Celsius and around 55% humidity for the first 14 days and 60%-75% humidity for lockdown

Hello, I must say that imo everytime I put quail into lockdown is day 15. Putting them into lockdown at the end of day 15 should be fine, but just make sure that who ever is checking on the eggs looks fir any pips. Them they should turn off the turner. If you don't like that idea it's also probably fine to put them into lockdown day 13. I know someone who put their Gamble quail into lockdown about a week early and they hatched fine. Sometimes I actually do what's called a no turn hatch and I never turn the eggs.

Sometimes quail are pipped and out in an 39 minutes or can take as long as a duck egg when hatching. It seems to depend completely on the individual chuck and how strong they are and how badly they want to get out.

I usually feed newly hatched quail turkey starter and that works fine. Also this is all from my experience and my opinion on the subject of quail and their chicks. So be aware other people might say the complete opposite and argue about my opinion.

Also I usually have mi incubator at 37.4 Celsius and around 55% humidity for the first 14 days and 60%-75% humidity for lockdown
thanks. the problem with them turning the turner off is that I normally remove it and put down a liner. The person doing the water knows nothing about hatching or incubators so asking her to do that is a lot.

wow so they are all over the place? it isn't like chickens that you should think about assisting if they have been pipped for a certain amt of time and no zipping?

thanks. the problem with them turning the turner off is that I normally remove it and put down a liner. The person doing the water knows nothing about hatching or incubators so asking her to do that is a lot.

wow so they are all over the place? it isn't like chickens that you should think about assisting if they have been pipped for a certain amt of time and no zipping?
Well when I got my first set of 24 coturnix eggs almost half were out by 30-40 minutes because they were practically speed running the zipping process. However the other half was out by around the hour mark. If they aren't out by 20 hours I would at least check them if their still alive or if something went wrong, but I'd check the unhatched eggs after about half are out.

Well when I got my first set of 24 coturnix eggs almost half were out by 30-40 minutes because they were practically speed running the zipping process. However the other half was out by around the hour mark. If they aren't out by 20 hours I would at least check them if their still alive or if something went wrong, but I'd check the unhatched eggs after about half are out.
Thank you. Funny I have hatched so many chicken eggs and feel like a newbie all over again!

Your plan seems pretty good. I’ve had quail hatch anywhere between day 16-20 my last batch were out by morning of day 17. The lockdown thing I usually put mine into lockdown day 13 or 14. About the pips it can take up to around 24-30 hours from pip to zip but with my experience the pip to zip has been about 3-4 hours. Once they start zipping they are out of the egg within 30 minutes. The game bird feed for mine I use Purina game bird crumbles and for the first 2-3 weeks I use a blender to get it down super small around 3 weeks I start giving bigger and bigger crumbles. I don’t know about the watered I use one of the gravity ones with a water bottle type thing. I just saw this post so if they already hatched congrats and if not I hope this helps I would love to see the babies when they are hatched. Hope this helps.

Your plan seems pretty good. I’ve had quail hatch anywhere between day 16-20 my last batch were out by morning of day 17. The lockdown thing I usually put mine into lockdown day 13 or 14. About the pips it can take up to around 24-30 hours from pip to zip but with my experience the pip to zip has been about 3-4 hours. Once they start zipping they are out of the egg within 30 minutes. The game bird feed for mine I use Purina game bird crumbles and for the first 2-3 weeks I use a blender to get it down super small around 3 weeks I start giving bigger and bigger crumbles. I don’t know about the watered I use one of the gravity ones with a water bottle type thing. I just saw this post so if they already hatched congrats and if not I hope this helps I would love to see the babies when they are hatched. Hope this helps.
Thank you. That helped a lot. Sun/today is day 15. So should hatch between mon-wed.

Back
Top Bottom