Question on how chicks are bred

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by servingChrist247, Sep 8, 2008.

1. servingChrist247

servingChrist247 New Egg

Sep 7, 2008
    I had a hen lay some chicks. I took them away from her because the cat was killing them one by one. I raised them from a couple days old and now they have been changing colors. She is a Nanking and I have a Rhode Island Rooster. I figured they would have a mixture of the two. I looked up the breeds on the Backyard Chickens and found out that I have 2 Plymouth Rock hens, two that look like RIR, a Nanking roo and a gray colored one. I don't want to sound uneducated when I ask...how does this happen? [​IMG] I know it couldn't be mis-breeding. We live on a dead end road and there are no other roosters. Thank you to anyone that can clear this up for me.

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    did she sit on just her own eggs? or other breeds to?

Henry

3. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Could she and the rooster be mixed breeds? If so, some of their other genetics might be coming through on the chicks (like a red-headed child coming from blond parents--it happens).

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    She probably hatched out eggs from all the hens, that's why you're seeing different colored chicks.

Do you have pics of your birds? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by