Question on leaving the eggs...

Farmer Doc

Chirping
Feb 24, 2018
Hi all! We were given a pair of beautiful White Chinese geese last fall. They should be coming up on a year in age. The little lady is a laying machine! She laid 41 eggs in 2017 (started in October), took a short break when it was really cold, and a while back started up again - 24 eggs so far this season! We would like for her to hatch a gaggle for us. I have read conflicting things on leaving the eggs in the nest to induce her motherly nature and that leads to my questions...
  1. How long can we leave the eggs and they still be fertile? (She breeds daily. I have read from 2 weeks to month.)
  2. She will sit on them at night if they are left in there, but shows no interest during the day, is this ok?
  3. Do nighttime/daytime temps matter?
  4. Is she just too young to become broody?
I think that's it! Thanks to everyone for your help. ~Doc

Today in the upper 40s/low 50s. Been anywhere from upper 40s to 80 the last two weeks. Average for this time of year is mid-50s. TN weather can be crazy!

Nights are above freezing mid-30s to 50s.

I think 10 days is the longest eggs are viable so you might want to rotate to keep eggs in so when she goes broody she have fresher eggs to sit on. I mark mine with washable marker starting at 1.That way I take out oldest and leave her with newest.

Back
Top Bottom