Question on ready-made coops from tractor supply

Really ? That’s good if it is , because paneling or mdf ( sawdust and glue) is not wood. It needs to have a grain . For that price it must be Pine which is a soft wood ,

I’m spoiled , I married a carpenter :)
Most seem to be made out of fir wood.
The few carpenters I have hired or know of, openly admit they don't work on their own stuff that needs fixing or remodeling. In fact plumbers too are bad at fixing their own stuff. Don't let yours fall into that slump, if s/he hasn't already. At least not with the animals houses lol.
My next life I'm getting a plumbing, electrical and building license.

I'm doing exactly the same thing. Im leaving the henhouse floor intact making it a 2 story coop, therefore more floor space. See my progress in my thread "Altering my terrible TS coop". I hope you post pics too!
I seen your other thread. That's pretty much what I want to do. A few modifications and I think they could be good enclosure for a small group.

Mine was made of very thin Chinese fir. It came packaged very well but still had MULTIPLE pieces that were broken so bad there was no way to use or modify them to work. These broken pieces were literally in the center of the box surrounded by styrofoam so that meant it was packaged broken. It's poor quality control too say the least.

I too thought it would do, I could seal the wood to make it last. So I spent about as much on quality sealant as I did the coop. I thought I was smart in sealing each piece as I removed it from the box. (Can you see where this is going?). After over an hour of sealing pieces I came to the middle of the box where I found 3 of the broken ones. So, not wanting to waste my money on all the sealant I'd already used, I called the company to ask about replacing the broken parts. They couldn't do that. Each coop kit is made and packaged in China and they didn't keep any extra parts at the warehouse in the states.
Call me a "naysayer" if you will. But my advice to not waste your money is from personal experience. I can tell you that with the rain and humidity and slushy snow we get in the upper part of SC, there is no way this coop would have made it for an entire year WITHOUT extensive help and additional cost.

So ask yourself, what is your personal time worth going in? If you spend a few hours putting it together, then several more hours modifying it to possibly last a year. Now factor in the cost of all the extra materials and sealants you will need as well. So, ultimately, how good does it sound now?

Oh, and I completely agree, unless your chickens are small chickens (young or just bantams) this might hold as many as advertised. But not once they grow to full size. And with the original poster wanting to use it for ducks, I say even more so to not do it.

Ultimately, it's your time and money to do what you want with. I personally think you will regret it in the long run.

Mine was made of very thin Chinese fir. It came packaged very well but still had MULTIPLE pieces that were broken so bad there was no way to use or modify them to work. These broken pieces were literally in the center of the box surrounded by styrofoam so that meant it was packaged broken. It's poor quality control too say the least.

I too thought it would do, I could seal the wood to make it last. So I spent about as much on quality sealant as I did the coop. I thought I was smart in sealing each piece as I removed it from the box. (Can you see where this is going?). After over an hour of sealing pieces I came to the middle of the box where I found 3 of the broken ones. So, not wanting to waste my money on all the sealant I'd already used, I called the company to ask about replacing the broken parts. They couldn't do that. Each coop kit is made and packaged in China and they didn't keep any extra parts at the warehouse in the states.
Call me a "naysayer" if you will. But my advice to not waste your money is from personal experience. I can tell you that with the rain and humidity and slushy snow we get in the upper part of SC, there is no way this coop would have made it for an entire year WITHOUT extensive help and additional cost.

So ask yourself, what is your personal time worth going in? If you spend a few hours putting it together, then several more hours modifying it to possibly last a year. Now factor in the cost of all the extra materials and sealants you will need as well. So, ultimately, how good does it sound now?

Oh, and I completely agree, unless your chickens are small chickens (young or just bantams) this might hold as many as advertised. But not once they grow to full size. And with the original poster wanting to use it for ducks, I say even more so to not do it.

Ultimately, it's your time and money to do what you want with. I personally think you will regret it in the long run.
:goodpost::thumbsup

Really ? That’s good if it is , because paneling or mdf ( sawdust and glue) is not wood. It needs to have a grain . For that price it must be Pine which is a soft wood ,

I’m spoiled , I married a carpenter :)
Nothing wrong with pine, most houses are framed with pine. As for these coops, if you buy one slap it together and expect it to last it won't. But if you take a few steps and paint it or seal it, and do some tweeking, it will last longer. Granted there not the best choice but they work in a pinch till you can afford or have the time to build something better. I bought mine cause I needed the extra space as my wife went and bought more chicks and my brooder box was already housing 2 juveniles that were 8 weeks and not ready to integrate.

Hi!
I’m wondering if anyone has experience purchasing a premade chicken coop from tractor supply?

(Coops like this https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-_-LABOR+DAY-_-Deluxe+Farm+House+Chicken+Coop)
Also, would those coops be compatible with two Muscovy ducks?
Your experienced advise would be greatly appreciated.

I have that, it works for a main coop but only for a few chickens. The area by the next box is too small for more than 3 chickens. The ducks would be fine! I have been adding lots of upgrades for my girls!

One thing about ducks is that most do not like ramps - if they use it, it will need to be wider to accommodate the waddle.
Muscovies are pretty big - especially the drakes.
My muscovies can climb a ramp, but those prefab ramps need widened. Plus, my muscovy ducks don't want to go to bed at night - so it might be hard getting them up there if they refuse.

Thank you for your response!
Yeah I’m wondering if my ducks will humor me and waddle up the ramp into the house too...
yes that looks good for the price and even the producer of similar coops said if you didn't use some at least water based sealant his wouldn't last either

I bought one of these. I use it for brooder and grow out. I also keep it under a roof so it is not exposed to the elements. IMO it isn't some thing for long term chicken keeping if you intend on using it for your main coop and the 8 bird capacity is laughable, 4 would be pushing it. I also don't believe it would hold up well if it were exposed to weather constantly. I did paint mine before I put it together so it would last longer and it is ok for what I use it for where I live
I have 6 birds in it atm, they are 10 weeks old and will be moving to the main coop in the next couple weeks when I get the run expanded

I was wondering about the capacity. I felt it looked rather small to hold eight chickens. I found one used local they wanted 200 for it but I wasn't sure if it would be worth it.

I was wondering about the capacity. I felt it looked rather small to hold eight chickens. I found one used local they wanted 200 for it but I wasn't sure if it would be worth it.
Tell them $100...... if they agree, I think it's a good deal. Usually people are just looking to get rid of coops when they are done with chicken keeping, it takes up too much space.

Back
Top Bottom