Question on vertical transmission of mg?

iiberis

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2018
I’ve searched and maybe I’m not using the right words but I can’t find an answer. Do chicks of hens who carry mg and are then infected through the egg always die soon after hatch or is there a possibility they too could simply be carriers and show no symptoms until much later(weeks or months)?

Once birds infected will be carrier for life if survive Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. Hens will have reduced hatchability and reduced chick viability. Other problems can include poor productivity, leg problems, nasal discharge, stunting, inappetance, slow growth, and abnormal feathers. If noting some of the reproductive problems or considering reproduction in infected hens, probably would not allow them to reproduce in order to not perpetuate the problem. :)

From what little I know, I think they may show symptoms of MG or mycoplasma within 2-4 weeks. Some chicks die in the egg, and some may die within the first week. I think it is not always spread through the hatching eggs every time. Probably, many of those eggs do not hatch. Some large poultry farms can vaccinate at least 2 generations for MG, and studies have found no MG in the 3 generation.

From what little I know, I think they may show symptoms of MG or mycoplasma within 2-4 weeks. Some chicks die in the egg, and some may die within the first week. I think it is not always spread through the hatching eggs every time. Probably, many of those eggs do not hatch. Some large poultry farms can vaccinate at least 2 generations for MG, and studies have found no MG in the 3 generation.
Thank you for the quick response! That’s very interesting, I’ve read a lot about it but I was very curious about how chicks who had been infected in egg would then do once hatched, if it were possible they might show no symptoms and simply carry on. I have read it’s about a 10% chance of it being transmitted this way. I was also curious if a hen carrying could still brood and care for chicks if she showed no symptoms? Or does such close contact inevitably mean the chicks will be infected anyways even if the hen is not symptomatic? I have so many questions about chicken illnesses I can’t ever seem to find a straight answer to lol

Here is some info on treatment from someone who had been through this with her flock. The only thing I would have done differently is not to reuse syringes or needles as there is a chance of transmission of MG through infected equipment so don’t reuse especially syringes or needles. I probably would not do anything without a vets advice and confirmation through blood testing at your vets office. If you have been through this phase already then this may not be useful. Maybe @2mnypets if still here can help as a person who has experienced MG in her flock.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...epticum-or-chronic-respiratory-disease.25281/

Back
Top Bottom