question prolapsed vent or anus blood everywhere

Thank you all for the thoughts and words of encouragement! It does mean a lot! My friends think I am crazy and it is "just a chicken" but all creatures deserve respect. It has been hard work, but, I remain cautiously optimistic. It is still hanging out, but, the scab is starting to come off. Just now, when I went to do a treatment, she actually pulled it in for a minute, by herself for the most part, which is the first time that has happened in 10 days. It is smaller and we have kept her from laying, which is a huge part of the battle. The other huge part, infection, seems to have stayed away so far. Here's hoping! I let her out with the girls today and she stayed out the whole time, enjoyed it, and was careful to not let the other chickens near her butt. The ones that ventured in for a peak APPARENTLY do NOT like the smell of the treatments because they turned away immediately! Too funny ! So, I will update again tomorrow. She looks like a train wreck though! poor thing! Her whole back half is NAKED as a Jaybird. Thanks again. Will update in the am!
big_smile.png

Status quo today. Yesterday afternoon a bright yellowish liquid can be seen on her vent and around the area. This started after I started using Vaseline in combination with the rest of the treatment. I am concerned that this may be infection? I don't know, but it is new and so I am hoping not a bad sign.

well...she is still with us. It is going back in a bit and the scab is slowly coming off. She bleeds sometimes when that happens, but just a little bit. She still is "leaking" the white fluid down her butt so there is not a lot of control, but, when I push the prolapse back in, it stays in longer and she can hold it somewhat. What happens is the prolapse is big with the scab and rough and I nkow it makes her feel like pushing so she strains it out. I am just hoping the swelling goes down ad the scab comes off and so she won't feel like that anymore. No egg still, which I think is the saving grace. I have no idea if we are a success story yet or not. DAY #10 today. She is out with everyone, but stays away from them completely. She shakes a bit, but eats and forages and drinks and roosts just fine. No infection yet thank goodness. I stopped applying the vaseline as it was causing some odor and weird coloring. Am still doing prep h and topical antibiotic and antibiotic in her water, but she is out and about too so she can get water from other sources as well. She "talks" to me when she feels like it so she seems in good spirits from what I can tell. She comes over for worms, etc.

Personally, for myself - if i have a cut, gash or open wound of any kind, I put a dab of raw honey on it. Raw honey has natural antibiotic properties, and my cuts heal faster than any neosporin will heal it. This is just a thought - for a human. Maybe some of the chicken owners will be able to chime in here about the use of honey on open wounds... I'm glad she's still hanging in there. I said a quick little prayer for her!!

Ok.... Day #11.....Last night, she went in after being outside and insisted on roosting with her pals. I decided it was time to let her. No one was bothering her bottom outside all day, I think it is the prep H because they do look, but duck right out. She still had her prolapse today, but definately smaller. She could poop, but the "pee" drains out on her butt. I believe it is the pee? it is the white yellowish runny stuff. She stayed with everyone all day today. I just went out to clean and repeat treatments and the ENTIRE GIGANTIC black white yellow brown and SMELLY scab all came off tonight! Yeah!!!!!!!!! I think that will be our greatest accomplishment because now the vent is still a bit agape, but, only a bit of tissue pokes out and she stopped straining because I think she can't feel that constant irritant of the giant scab! Yeah! I have still not felt an egg or known of an egg. We have not had one since day #2 when I had to express it out of the "bag" that hung out of her bottom. So, I know that we aren't totally done yet, but, to anyone else who might read this post, DON"T give up until it may be time to give up because there were times when I certainly thought that this was HOPELESS and here we are. I hope she continues to go up. Thanks all for the encouragement. It was hard work, but, once it became part of the routine it was nothing I wouldn't do again if it results in not losing a chicken.
wink.png
big_smile.png

big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
She is integrated and has a closed vent! She is naked as a jaybird in the back end, but, it is day 14 and she has been on regular food, with the rest of the gang and no treatment since the day that her scab fell off.... YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Patience and diligence....paid off so far! Good luck if this happens to you. I hope that you have a successful outcome. I know that it could happen again, but, for now, she is happy and whole again
smile.png

Soooooo.................yesterday, the kids came running in with poor Beauty to tell me that it happened again. The "good news" is that it was much smaller yesterday. She completely stayed away from everyone once it happened. I treated her late last night. By this morning, it was fine. But, she was in a nesting box at the crack of dawn...that was not a good sign. I got home, she was still in the nesting box. NO prolapse however. So, I have not treated her again. She again kept herself mostly away from everyone today and went to roost HOURS before she would normally. She had no fever, normal color, but, it makes me nervous that she took herself "out of the game" so to speak. We will see..................... I do believe she laid an egg yesterday and today though, which means that it stayed in, which it didn't last time. I am not going through the whole thing again with putting her in the kennel and changing feed and darkening to stop egg production, etc. I did not feel an egg in there last night, but, really thought she might have laid one today.

Do these prolapses ever correct themselves without intervention? I have a sex-link hen that has had this problem for several days now. I tried the sugar treatment initially, as well as pushing it back in, although it just popped back immediately.

The hen seems fine in all other respects, eating, drinking, and hanging with the other girls. She runs over with the rest whenever I come near the run, hoping for treats. Looks and acts normal in all accounts, other then this bottom bulge.

She is the head hen, so the others don't pick at her at all. Her backside is prety messy with poop mind you, so perhaps that's preventing the picking as well.

I wondered if I just left her, if it may heal up on it's own?

Back
Top Bottom