Question regarding failed eggs

Squirlatheart

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 17, 2009
Hi,

I am hatching out some eggs and candled at 15 days. I tried to be brave and opened the nondeveloping eggs. They all looked just like a regular egg you get at the grocery store with no development at all. I was curious as to whether this usually indicates a nonfertile egg or what? These were shipped eggs. Just trying to get a better feel for my hatching techniques. Thanks again.

Could ne infertile or to much trauma in shipping like air moving around, I just eliminate 2 eggs from bator that had the air bubble moving , they were empty...Mine were shipped too, i have a few really good ones doing back flips in their eggs already but were on day 10. some others im on the fence about just yet.

Thanks Heather,

I figured it was probably mostly the shipping as well. Just wanted to make sure it was not something I was doing wrong in incubation. Mine were really moving around well yesterday. Good luck with yours.

It's very unlikley not to get at least a few chicks out of shipped eggs unless the seller is having fertility problems.
You need to contact the seller to discuss the issue. Were they "test" eggs?

Of course, I'm assuming you've hatched before and have a handle on temperature & humidity.
Check the sellers feedback. No feedback is sometimes a red flag, as much as bad feedback. Sometimes buyers assume it was them and in reality, the eggs never should have been sold/auctioned.

Brenda

No, I know the seller, and they sell fertile eggs. I don't think I really worded my question very well. I just wondered if there was a way to tell from how they looked whether the failure was due to shipping or my techniques. The bator has behaved very well during this hatch. I think they really just can't hold up to the postal service. When you think about it, how amazing we get any ducks or chicks from eggs that have been tossed all over the place. Thanks for your input. I am thrilled with the outcome, just wondered about what the eggs should look like at this stage.

Back
Top Bottom