1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question Regarding Your Chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by itsthelaw37801, Sep 17, 2012.

1. itsthelaw37801

itsthelaw37801 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2012
    Lenoir City, TN
    I was curious - What is the oldest chicken you have? You know you have that chicken that you've raised for years. Share how old is your oldest.

2. itsthelaw37801

Jul 22, 2012
    Lenoir City, TN
    I simply wanted to know if I kept mine healthy, away from predators, how long could I expect them to live. And what others experiences were.

3. About 5 or 6 years. I have a few 5 y/o girls right now. We used to have about 20 old ladies but they ate some really rare mushrooms while free ranging and died in their sleep. :(. If not for that they probably could've lived longer.

~~~Ms.B :)

4. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    The oldest one I ever had lived to be 11, but she's gone now. She stopped laying regularly around 6-7 years, but she always laid a clutch in the spring and the fall, even right up to the end!
    The oldest hen I have ever heard of was 18.
    I let all my girls live as long as they happen to live, but it seems as if I lose most of them around 5-7 years. Reproductive issues seem to be the most common reason I lose the older ones.
    I commend you for wanting to let them live out their lives. I think a big reason people think chickens are "stupid" is because most people only let them live a year or two. You have to let a bird live a few years to gain the experience that an old hen has. That's when the hilarious personalities really start showing themselves - old hens are quite the characters!

5. itsthelaw37801

Jul 22, 2012
    Lenoir City, TN
    Wow, 11 is amazing. We have 8 dogs and two of them are old. One lives inside. When something happens to them, I will die. I am getting attached to these chickens. I was just wondering if I kept them healthy, how long I could expect them to hang around. I love them so much, and I have only had them 8 months. After 11 years, they'd probably be inside the house with me. lol

Thank you for repsonding.

6. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY
    My hen Scarlett is 4 years old now going on 5 years and still giving me chicks![​IMG]

7. itsthelaw37801

Jul 22, 2012
    Lenoir City, TN
    What breed is Scarlett? Do you think certain breeds endure time better than others?

8. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY
    She is a bantam splash cochin and I LOVE THIS BREED!!!!!!!!!!! hmm, I think it depends on the breed and the blood line of the breed. But yes I do think certain ones do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by