Questionable symptoms in newborn chicks, 4 died, 1 left. Please help ASAP!

I tried my best to hold her and inspect her at the same time.... I looked at her vent and didn't see any mites... nothing, at least from what I could see. I didn't get to do a thorough search through her feathers in that area though because it was hard to hold her. I inspected around where/under the wing meets the chest, and from what I could see, nothing there either. I had set my phone down on the nesting boxes throughout this whole ordeal though, and when I went to pick it up, it was swarming with mites :( Does this mean my hen may likely have lots of mites on her? It is early morning, the sun has not yet risen, she was off her roost by the time I got to her this morning and the roost really isn't very far from the nesting boxes. Would you all still say it is worth putting the baby in with mama at this point? I may move the Kennel with the mama hen inside my office next to the box with the crying chick so hopefully they'll connect via talking.

Hmmm..She needs to be in the Coop or larger area...Lock out all other Birds. Place Baby down and watch..The crate won't work this late in the game...

I felt that with a small area, it would be conducive to them snuggling? there are too many mites in the coop for me to feel comfortable bringing the chick inside, and I'm not sure I have a box kicking around for the both of them.. It's possible though, I'll look.

I tried my best to hold her and inspect her at the same time.... I looked at her vent and didn't see any mites... nothing, at least from what I could see. I didn't get to do a thorough search through her feathers in that area though because it was hard to hold her. I inspected around where/under the wing meets the chest, and from what I could see, nothing there either. I had set my phone down on the nesting boxes throughout this whole ordeal though, and when I went to pick it up, it was swarming with mites :( Does this mean my hen may likely have lots of mites on her? It is early morning, the sun has not yet risen, she was off her roost by the time I got to her this morning and the roost really isn't very far from the nesting boxes. Would you all still say it is worth putting the baby in with mama at this point? I may move the Kennel with the mama hen inside my office next to the box with the crying chick so hopefully they'll connect via talking.
Dusting powder is needed...Dust Momma...

Current situation: mama hen is in kennel on front porch, baby chick is in cardboard box pushed to front screen door. Mama can hear and is noticing her cries...

Mama seems to be doing her normal chicken clucking, no broody talks yet ... she did talk broody when I went out to the coop this morning and played a recording of the baby chick crying though. I'm beginning to feel this is a lost cause. hopefully things will turn around but otherwise I may not even risk putting the baby in with her.

Mama seems to be doing her normal chicken clucking, no broody talks yet ... she did talk broody when I went out to the coop this morning and played a recording of the baby chick crying though. I'm beginning to feel this is a lost cause. hopefully things will turn around but otherwise I may not even risk putting the baby in with her.
Totally your Call but each hour you wait the less the chances are she will mother it...

I felt that with a small area, it would be conducive to them snuggling? there are too many mites in the coop for me to feel comfortable bringing the chick inside, and I'm not sure I have a box kicking around for the both of them.. It's possible though, I'll look.
I'll admit, I've only skimmed the posts, so please forgive me if I repeat questions or advice. How long has the mama been roosting at night and not with her baby? The longer it is before you get them back together, the less chance there is that she will accept the baby (I see Chickens Really has just said the same thing.) If she's no longer inclined to take care of the baby, the bigger area you have them in the better. The crate would not give the baby a chance to get away from her if she decides to attack it. In a larger area, you would have more room to intervene.

Back
Top Bottom