Questionable symptoms in newborn chicks, 4 died, 1 left. Please help ASAP!

Ok current situation guys: I decided to introduce them, because when I brought baby close to mama she switched to broody talk and fluffed up. I put baby in the kennel with her, but mama was picking at her. It didn't seem vicious but it was to the point that I decided to separate them and felt like that was enough to tell that it wasn't going to work, so I let mama out of the kennel outside so she could be on her way, but she is sticking around and is making me feel there is still a chance... the way mama is also preening her feathers on her wings, on her underbody etc. makes me feel that she definitely has mites in need of treating. I'm feeling hopeful we can retain mama's interest in the chick if we keep them in close proximity to talk, but I worry about the babies health with mama's mites. If I dust mama how long do I need to wait until trying to put them together again? Thank you all for the help.

Ok current situation guys: I decided to introduce them, because when I brought baby close to mama she switched to broody talk and fluffed up. I put baby in the kennel with her, but mama was picking at her. It didn't seem vicious but it was to the point that I decided to separate them and felt like that was enough to tell that it wasn't going to work, so I let mama out of the kennel outside so she could be on her way, but she is sticking around and is making me feel there is still a chance... the way mama is also preening her feathers on her wings, on her underbody etc. makes me feel that she definitely has mites in need of treating. I'm feeling hopeful we can retain mama's interest in the chick if we keep them in close proximity to talk, but I worry about the babies health with mama's mites. If I dust mama how long do I need to wait until trying to put them together again? Thank you all for the help.
Okay...Your not ready to do this..Interference and the mites have caused issues here..
Either leave it with her or stop?...

I'll admit, I've only skimmed the posts, so please forgive me if I repeat questions or advice. How long has the mama been roosting at night and not with her baby? The longer it is before you get them back together, the less chance there is that she will accept the baby (I see Chickens Really has just said the same thing.) If she's no longer inclined to take care of the baby, the bigger area you have them in the better. The crate would not give the baby a chance to get away from her if she decides to attack it. In a larger area, you would have more room to intervene.

Thank you, Mama has been out free-ranging without any chicks and not sitting in her nest at night I believe since Wednesday. I took the last baby inside the house on Wednesday, and I have had moments of putting mama and baby close together in hopes to retain their connection via conversation since Wednesday as well.

Unfortunately the coop has lots of mites inside so that is not an option for mama and baby at this point. I do have a larger cardboard box but I know mama isn't going to like that after a while unless she's super connected to caring for the little one, which I believe is still possible at this point based on what I see.

I'm feeling hopeful we can retain mama's interest in the chick if we keep them in close proximity to talk, but I worry about the babies health with mama's mites. If I dust mama how long do I need to wait until trying to put them together again? Thank you all for the help.

I'm feeling hopeful we can retain mama's interest in the chick if we keep them in close proximity to talk, but I worry about the babies health with mama's mites. If I dust mama how long do I need to wait until trying to put them together again? Thank you all for the help.
Look, Momma needs 100% access to the Chick to have a Bond..Get them out of your dirty Coop...

Also, baby definitely seems to consider me the mom at this point so this whole situation seems to be tricky. It's already warming up so the hope that she would snuggle close to mom seems to be fading now. I'm wondering if I should treat the mama and other hens with dust today, and have her sleep on a new roost outside the coop today in hopes of keeping mites away, and re-introduce the two in the morning?

Thank you, Mama has been out free-ranging without any chicks and not sitting in her nest at night I believe since Wednesday. I took the last baby inside the house on Wednesday, and I have had moments of putting mama and baby close together in hopes to retain their connection via conversation since Wednesday as well.

Unfortunately the coop has lots of mites inside so that is not an option for mama and baby at this point. I do have a larger cardboard box but I know mama isn't going to like that after a while unless she's super connected to caring for the little one, which I believe is still possible at this point based on what I see.
Totally clean the Coop and get Dusting powder...

Also, baby definitely seems to consider me the mom at this point so this whole situation seems to be tricky. It's already warming up so the hope that she would snuggle close to mom seems to be fading now. I'm wondering if I should treat the mama and other hens with dust today, and have her sleep on a new roost outside the coop today in hopes of keeping mites away, and re-introduce the two in the morning?
:th

Back
Top Bottom