Questioning Gapeworm....my barred rock is very sick, need some advice.

To check for gape worm, take a Q-tip and put it down her throat and gently rubbing on the sides and bring it out and you may see gape worms. Also a poop sample can be taken to vet to check. Definitely treat her for worms and dust for mites.

The comb turning purplish/blueish indicates an oxygen problem. That would fit with the wheezing - if she's struggling a bit to breathe, then her body is not getting the oxygen it needs. So I would rule out gapeworm. Maybe she has a really bad upper respiratory issue...no sneezing or anything??? Or she could have a blockage of some kind in her air passageway. Last week one of my oldies sounded like a daggone lamb - horrible wheezing sound. I thought "Oh crap - some kind of respiratory problem!" It was evening time and dark, so I figured I'd wait until morning to examine her. It must have been a piece of hay or something stuck in her throat though, because she sounded perfectly normal by then.

But if your girl has been wheezing for several days, then I'd think an URI. If you can handle giving shots, you can try Tylan 50. I use the half inch insulin needles (pharmacies carry them behind the counter). You have to give the shots into the muscle (breast is easiest) for three days in a row. I've oinly treated one girl with it, but it worked quickly on her...
I'm not saying that this bird has gapes, but how can one rule them out, they live in the trachea and the trachea is what birds breath through, right? More likely a respiratory infection, but gapes could cause the same symptoms. To rule them out I think you would have to swab the inside of the trachea, not the esophagus.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Gapes live in the trachea, so one needs to swab the trachea, not the esophagus, maybe that's what that Dr. meant, 'cause a q-tip swab of the esophagus will not show gapes.
big_smile.png
Here are some other links:

http://www.justanswer.com/bird-vet/5in-believe-one-plymouth-barred-rock-hens-gape-worm.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=E5...wBA#v=onepage&q=gapeworm trachea swab&f=false

-Kathy

Last edited:
No her crop doesn't feel impacted anymore. I brought her in the house to watch her and noticed she really liked it inside. She walked around and even drank water. Your probably right that she must have choked on the oil. I think I'm calling the vet tomorrow.
It's not gapeworm if she's walking around and drinking water. I'm thinking that she may have been adjusting her crop. Birds yawn and open there mouths quite abit (gaping) when they are adjusting their crop and it appears that something is wrong, but it is normal.

Last edited:
(I posted my concerns about my hen in two places, so I wanted to make sure I let everyone know how she is doing).

Update on my hen Speckles...

I took her to the vet, and she confirmed that it was an impacted crop. Because I had been giving her olive oil and massaging the impacted crop for two days, the impacted crop started breaking down. The vet informed me that I saved her from having to have surgery, and that I did exactly what I was suppose to do. The vet gave me special food to give her for two days to help her crop empty completely, and this would help her crop heal. Thankfully she LOVES the food, and so do my other hens! :) Today she is eating normally, and her sweet personality is back.

Thank you all for all your advice. Since I've only had my hens for 8 months, I still have a lot to learn. But it's so nice to know that when I have a question I can always ask you all.

Thanks again, and have a wonderful Holiday.

Back
Top Bottom