Questions about behavior of my two roosters, a bantam and australorp

cait8876

In the Brooder
May 19, 2016
I have 6 hens and 2 roosters that we got at the end of april. One rooster is a black australorp called Oreo, the other a bantam rooster (golden sebright) named Hawkeye. The little guy was a random choice we made a tractor supply, they had no idea what breed he was so it was surprise when everyone else surpassed him in size! He was always the boss man and hasn't stopped crowing since he was 9 weeks.

Anyway we're relieved Hawkeye seems to be in charge. However Oreo has been showing signs of aggression towards me now that he's older. Trying to attack my feet. Hawkeye's done little pecks at my feet once and while but he's since stopped. when i got home from work yesterday i let them out of their run, they were hanging around the house mostly and every time i came outside Oreo would sneak up on me. I noticed Hawkeye seemed to keep trying to cut him off when he would start to come towards me. He'd step in front of him and ruffle his feathers at him. One point he even jumped on him.

Hawkeyes never done what oreo does, he will run towards me full force when he sees me, but he stops at about 6ft in front of me and just runs back to the flock, its helpful when I'm looking for him. I know I need to pick up Oreo more and work with him, I plan to try to this weekend once I have more layers on then the usual capris and tank tops.

So my questions are as follows:
1. Is this good that Hawkeyes cutting Oreo off when he charges at me? or does hawkeye also think he's above me?
2. Is it bad to have a small and large rooster, are we at high risk that oreo will take out hawkeye someday?
3. What else can I do salvage my relationship with oreo? Id hate to loose him, altho hawkeye thinks he's mighty he won't be much protection for the girls...
4. Yesterday while they were out in the yard and Oreo was the worst with me I was wearing patterned leggings that were a royal blue with large patterns, could this be a reason he was so fascinated with me?

Sounds like Hawkeye is trying to defend you or mistaking and thinking orea is running for a hen.This could also be a Teen stage.Regardless of what it is you need to not back down.My oldest Rooster knows im the Flock Master and not to test me.

Do not ever back down.Spray him with a water hose on hard and chase him.My 5 month old RIR seems to be getting outta hand I just shew at hin with ny hand.Any little threat sounds or looks he makes gets him chased at.Dont tolerate it.
But once things calm down,(If they do), you should try holding oreaevery so often.And hand feed him and letting him get close to you and around you.

If this doesnt stop,kill him.The chances of them killing eachother are not likely seeing as they grew up together.But,he may change the order between both of them.

I have a post here entitled "Lost without a Roo?" I ended up culling both of mine for aggression towards me, but there were some very helpful posts from others about handling roosters. Being brand new to chicken keeping, I made mistakes with mine for sure. Maybe check out that thread and see if it helps you! Good luck :)

Thanks for your replies.
When I let them out for a bit after work yesterday I made it a point to follow them around particularly Oreo, he seemed more scared of me this time. I did have a broom in my hand this time though. But he's not always a little Jerk so I will keep at it. I noticed Hawkeye putting him in his place more then usual, they'd lock eyes puff up there feathers and Oreo would walk away first. So maybe Oreos challenging everyone.
I like the idea of water, I started using a spray bottle with water to keep them out of the garden, maybe I'll carry that around instead of the broom.

Some people will say you can reform your Roosters by holding them down...Chasing them...The truth is a Rooster is a Rooster with two things on his mind...Breeding and protecting the Flock...YOUR A THREAT!...They will continue to attack you and the more you fight back the harder a Rooster will fight back..They will die to protect the hens...Take a breath and really consider the out come..Small children could be attacked or yourself...I speak from experience...My big Roo attacked me this Spring...If not for kicking him out the pop door and slamming it shut, he would of really hurt me...He was Culled the next day...No Roosters here anymore!

Good luck

Thanks BarbiD for directing me to your thread, interesting read. These are my first chickens as well.

Thanks for your replies.
When I let them out for a bit after work yesterday I made it a point to follow them around particularly Oreo, he seemed more scared of me this time. I did have a broom in my hand this time though. But he's not always a little Jerk so I will keep at it. I noticed Hawkeye putting him in his place more then usual, they'd lock eyes puff up there feathers and Oreo would walk away first. So maybe Oreos challenging everyone.
I like the idea of water, I started using a spray bottle with water to keep them out of the garden, maybe I'll carry that around instead of the broom.

Be careful...each day is a new chance for them to "one up you!" I too thought my long flowing dress blowing in the wind was what caused my second roo to attack me one morning because he was my baby! Then that evening we were buds again, hanging out and he was eating out of my hand (not a good move on my part - see my thread). The next evening he hit me with both spurs on my shin. Fortunately, I had my rubber boots on. I went into the house, put on more clothing, loaded my 38 and went back out side to say goodbye to Caesar. I personally am much happier to now be able to go outside and not be looking over my shoulder all the time or carrying a water bottle around. My girls are fine without their roos. Your boys are the same age as mine were...they are full blown horny teenagers and those girls of yours belong to them. Best of luck and make sure you protect yourself!!

There are lots of roosters that don't attack people. I see no reason to put up with a mean one. I culled my rooster this summer. He attacked my grandson just a couple days after I left him out of solitary confinement for attacking me. I'd hoped he would see people as the bringers of food and water. Six weeks of bringing him food and water didn't change his attitude toward people.

Back
Top Bottom