Questions about blue Cochins??

dani2

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 25, 2008
Hi,

I purchased a bunch of blue cochins this year and did not really read the fine print until after they arrived when I realized that not all of them would truly end up that color. Well now they are all grown we have 4 that are a dark smokey gray which I am guessing is what they consider blue?? My question is if I want to breed them what is the best color rooster to keep? We have black, a black with some red highlights and the smoke gray color. I am assuming it would be the gray/blue but I thought I would ask just incase. If anyone has any other pictures of there blue cochins I would love to see them to compare my colors to others I will try and add a few pictures later today Thanks in advance for the help Nicki

Blue has different hues. I think they are all pretty. If you want to breed them I would also consider the type as they mature, along with the color. The Black is going to give you Blue and Black Chicks, the Blue Blue Black and Splash chicks. Dont use the Black leaking red. In general you want a blue with lacing on the edges. Here is a great thread with lots of blue pic https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=222106&p=1
Here
are some pictures for you. I apologize on the size they are older ones and I have to have my DH go back in and downsize them. Good luck!!
Blue Roo, Blueberry
DSC_1547.jpg

DSC_1554.jpg

Blue Mottled pullet, Bluebelle
DSC_1550.jpg

Diff Blue Mottled Hen, Joy
[
JoyCochin.jpg

"Smoky Blue" pullet, Cutie Pie
DSC_1664.jpg

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the info that is what I was looking for the one with red has been added to the pen of chickens to be butchered and I kept one black and one blue/gray I will be very excited when we get our first batch of chicks
smile.png

"do you sell eggs ?????"

One of these days, if I could make sure the person getting them would get a good hatch. Shipping seems hard on these little eggs. Fertility is always a concern with Cochins, although mine seem VERY fertile. And very productive sometimes. Funnily enough my children's club wanted to have a Cochin meet, they had us all join Cochins International, so I guess I am now a breeder.

There are so many nice Cochins here on BYC. If you see her post an auction for some
Jimnjay has lovely ones now from one of the breeder I got Joy from. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=222408

Last edited:
Dani2- Where are you located? I have an extra splash roo if you want to make lots of blue chicks....

Well- I'll probably use my best splash roo next year with the blue, black & splash hens. I should get all blue or splash chicks. I have too many black birds around here.

This guy has potential: (standard BTW)
28521_10aug09_038.jpg

Aww...thanks sweetie!
I cant take any credit, all I did was hatch her.
Am planning on taking her to a few shows.
Cool thing though--all her chicks are black and blue mottled and one splash mottled b/c the Blue Roo ended up with the mottled gene.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom