Questions about Diatomaceous Earth - feedback appreciated

lisahaschickens

Songster
10 Years
Feb 25, 2009
Vancouver, WA
I keep seeing mention of Diatomaceous Earth and I also know that the place that makes my organic feed carries it. However, I don't know anything about it. Is it considered an organic supplement? I know it's supposed to treat and prevent some parasites, but that's about all I know so far. Does anyone use it? Do you like it? How is it used? Also, my chicks are nearly 4 weeks old. Can I use it on them? would I want to?

I have seen mention of it on threads about parasitic worms and I know that chickens get those from free-ranging and eating bugs and grass. My chicks already eat earthworms and I plan to let them free-range as soon as it warms up a bit. I want them to be organic and free-range as much as possible. I am looking for suggestions.

lots of thread on DE, my suggestion is start reading. You will see that some people think it is the best thing there is, and some people think it is not very useful. I am in the later camp. My one strong suggestion is if you want to try it, make sure you get food grade (unprocessed) and not pool grade which can make you quite sick if used inappropriately. Read the bag, do not depend on the seller to sell you the right thing.

DE is an organic pest killer that uses ground prehistoric freshwater diatoms
to release a chemical that causes pests' exoskeletons to shrivel. It is completely safe, at Food Grade, for any animals or people you have in mind. I would recommend it strongly.
smile.png

Here is a good website:
www.yardlover.com/products.php?pid=193

Back
Top Bottom