Questions about ducks :) Calling all duck experts!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BarredCometLaced, Aug 16, 2011.

1. BarredCometLaced

BarredCometLaced Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Northern NH
    If i purchase mallard ducklings from a hatchery, and hand raise them will they fly away in winter to go south?

Also, we live in New England, what are some ways to attract wild ducks naturally and ways to keep them coming back?

AND, are Rouen ducks monogamous?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  2. Chriswardens52

Chriswardens52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    DuckVille Montana
    Well I suppose if the mallard had retained alot of the instinct to fly they would. " Hatchery" Mallards are still mallards. And it may be illegal to mess with the wild population of ducks. They are wild and meant to be that way. I don't want to sound mean. But leave the wild population alone. That is why we have backyard duckies [​IMG]. And no rouen ducks do not mate for life i don't think. If that is what u are asking.

3. BarredCometLaced

Jul 10, 2011
    Northern NH
    Why do hatcherys sell them then? Are they sold with the thought that people would keep their wings clipped?

4. BarredCometLaced

Jul 10, 2011
    Northern NH
    AND, I completly understand your point about the wild mallards, i was jut wondering because i saw that mcmurray hatchery sells them.

Really waht i was asking about the Rouens was if a drake only mated with one duck.

Does anyone know how to attract a wild population of mallards to a pond and how to keep the coming back?

5. Chriswardens52

Chriswardens52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    DuckVille Montana
    well i suppose if you have alot of females he would "befriend" them all lol. Maybe if you had one female duck he would stick to her.

6. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I have 4 drakes and 2 hen. I have a pair of rouen but my drake only breeds with his girl, I dont think he breeds with my ancona hen. But I could be wrong

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There are plantings you can start, of plants that will attract wild waterfowl. Actually, I've come across them on waterfowl hunting web sites. And you can build duck nest boxes to attract them, too.

8. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    the mallards will probably fly away.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by