Questions about ducks :) Calling all duck experts!

BarredCometLaced

Songster
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
Northern NH
If i purchase mallard ducklings from a hatchery, and hand raise them will they fly away in winter to go south?

Also, we live in New England, what are some ways to attract wild ducks naturally and ways to keep them coming back?

AND, are Rouen ducks monogamous?

Last edited:
Well I suppose if the mallard had retained alot of the instinct to fly they would. " Hatchery" Mallards are still mallards. And it may be illegal to mess with the wild population of ducks. They are wild and meant to be that way. I don't want to sound mean. But leave the wild population alone. That is why we have backyard duckies
thumbsup.gif
. And no rouen ducks do not mate for life i don't think. If that is what u are asking.

AND, I completly understand your point about the wild mallards, i was jut wondering because i saw that mcmurray hatchery sells them.

Really waht i was asking about the Rouens was if a drake only mated with one duck.

Does anyone know how to attract a wild population of mallards to a pond and how to keep the coming back?

Last edited:
I have 4 drakes and 2 hen. I have a pair of rouen but my drake only breeds with his girl, I dont think he breeds with my ancona hen. But I could be wrong

There are plantings you can start, of plants that will attract wild waterfowl. Actually, I've come across them on waterfowl hunting web sites. And you can build duck nest boxes to attract them, too.

Back
Top Bottom