Questions About Farm Coturnix Quail

He didn't say exactly what he didn't like about them, but I suspect it's a number of things. There is a lot of exacting record keeping so you know when your roo has both genes so he consistently sires blue layers. You have to be very careful about adding new blood since the celadon gene is recessive.

In my experience, celadon eggs are kind of a pain as well. The shells tend to be more brittle, they have more meat spots in them, and they tend to be smaller. They are very pretty, though.
My celadon eggs are smaller than the Myshire eggs were, but they are not more brittle. I don’t have a lot of experience with meat spots, I get them in both types of eggs, in maybe like 5% or less of them, is that a lot or a little or normal?

My celadon eggs are smaller than the Myshire eggs were, but they are not more brittle. I don’t have a lot of experience with meat spots, I get them in both types of eggs, in maybe like 5% or less of them, is that a lot or a little or normal?
That sounds like a lot to me. I don't think I've ever gotten a meat spot out of my regular eggs, but get them in about 5-10% of the celadons.

That sounds like a lot to me. I don't think I've ever gotten a meat spot out of my regular eggs, but get them in about 5-10% of the celadons.
Hmm I’ll pay closer attention, I definitely get as many, if not more from my normal speckled eggs, but I’m more likely to cook with the larger speckled eggs, and toss the smaller celadons to the dogs, so perhaps I’m just not seeing them. The celadon eggs are more often less smooth shelled than the regulars. I almost never get any bumps or texture on the normal eggs.

Hmm I’ll pay closer attention, I definitely get as many, if not more from my normal speckled eggs, but I’m more likely to cook with the larger speckled eggs, and toss the smaller celadons to the dogs, so perhaps I’m just not seeing them. The celadon eggs are more often less smooth shelled than the regulars. I almost never get any bumps or texture on the normal eggs.
Yes! That too.

I also think that celadon blue eggs are an accent to an already beautiful bouquet of speckled browns. That would mean I need to keep both types and keep track of specific birds.

Building your homogenous flock is hard. None of the big hatcheries I’ve seen offer 100% celadons, usually they’ll promise 70-90% from what I’ve seen. When the hen lays blue, you know she has 2 copies, but the only way to know with a male is to buy eggs or birds from someone who guarantees 100% or to breed it many times and see how the next hens turn out. It’s a project, but once you have a roo carrying 2 copies of celadon, you’re home free.
so how do you know you have a homozygous rooster? Is it that you have a rooster that hatched from a blue egg, then his offspring that hatch from a blue egg?

so how do you know you have a homozygous rooster? Is it that you have a rooster that hatched from a blue egg, then his offspring that hatch from a blue egg?
A bird can hatch from a normal speckled egg and still have 2 copies of celadon, because each parent could be a carrier. To know for sure with a roo, you need to breed him a lot to hens who lay blue eggs, raise the chicks, and see what his daughters lay. Once you’ve raised dozens and dozens of his daughters, If every single one lays blue, he probably has 2 copies. I had tracked 80-100 daughters of mine, when I felt certain, I raised my prices a bit, but I still asked every customer to tell me if they lay blue, and many sent me photos of all lovely blue eggs.

A bird can hatch from a normal speckled egg and still have 2 copies of celadon, because each parent could be a carrier. To know for sure with a roo, you need to breed him a lot to hens who lay blue eggs, raise the chicks, and see what his daughters lay. Once you’ve raised dozens and dozens of his daughters, If every single one lays blue, he probably has 2 copies. I had tracked 80-100 daughters of mine, when I felt certain, I raised my prices a bit, but I still asked every customer to tell me if they lay blue, and many sent me photos of all lovely blue eggs.
Oh okay. Yeah I see why that can be tricky 😂

Back
Top Bottom