Questions about intestinal worms

Trish1974

Araucana enthusiast
5 Years
Mar 16, 2016
North Central IN
My Coop
My Coop
Question #1: Can all intestinal worms be seen by the naked eye?
Question #2: If one chicken has worms is it safe to say the entire flock has them too?
The reason I ask is because my 1 year old black australorp has had a pale comb and face for almost a week now. She acts fine, has been eating well, laying well and I have not seen any worms in any of the chicken droppings. I looked around her neck and back for lice or mites but did not see any. All the other hens' combs look fine. Is it possible she could have a parasite that doesn't show up in poop? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The only worms that can be seen easily are large roundworms. All others would be very easy to miss. Can you post some pictures of your pale hen's poop?

Most worms will not show up in droppings. Occasionally, if the bird is carrying a very heavy load of worms you will see one that is passed, usually round worms or tape worms. Other worms won't be visible at all. The worm eggs are shed in the droppings and are too small to see with the naked eye. It is recommended that you have a fecal float test done, if at all possible, to confirm worms and the type. Many vets will do this even if they don't see birds, though not all will.
Common symptoms of worms are weight loss and runny droppings.
Generally if one bird has worms then it's a good idea to worm them all. The eggs are shed in the droppings and they have all been exposed.

Here ya go! Just went out to the coop and luckily she had a fresh stool underneath her.
WP_20170608_22_15_06_Pro.jpg

Most worms will not show up in droppings. Occasionally, if the bird is carrying a very heavy load of worms you will see one that is passed, usually round worms or tape worms. Other worms won't be visible at all. The worm eggs are shed in the droppings and are too small to see with the naked eye. It is recommended that you have a fecal float test done, if at all possible, to confirm worms and the type. Many vets will do this even if they don't see birds, though not all will.
Common symptoms of worms are weight loss and runny droppings.
Generally if one bird has worms then it's a good idea to worm them all. The eggs are shed in the droppings and they have all been exposed.
Unfortunately my vet will not do a fecal test. What should I treat them with if I can't find out which type of worms they have?

Is there a special Safe Guard for chickens, or use the kind for horses and adjust the dosage? Also, how long do I need to discard the eggs?
Chickens get a higher dose per pound than horses. The easiest way to worm your chickens would be to get some Valbazen liquid for cows.

Back
Top Bottom