Questions about keeping button quail.

NinjaGamer2022

Songster
Apr 30, 2022
I live in an area that in winter drops below freezing (to the teens to even the negatives sometimes) and rises in summer to the 90's. I am wondering if I keep them in a draft-free enclosure could they live outdoors? What about feeding? Eggs per year? Also, what about keeping them with Coturnix quail with hides? Thx,

Button quail are native to southeast Asia. They do not do well in extreme cold like coturnix do. Button quail do best in pairs.

Coturnix quail are so much larger than buttons, and both can be aggressive. In this case, the buttons will be the losers. I do not recommend keeping them together. They are good on the same diet as your coturnix, though, so a standard game bird crumble is perfect for them. Once they start to lay, they will lay almost daily.

Button quail are native to southeast Asia. They do not do well in extreme cold like coturnix do. Button quail do best in pairs.

Coturnix quail are so much larger than buttons, and both can be aggressive. In this case, the buttons will be the losers. I do not recommend keeping them together. They are good on the same diet as your coturnix, though, so a standard game bird crumble is perfect for them. Once they start to lay, they will lay almost daily.
Thank you for this info. What temps do you think they can handle outdoors? I understand they couldn't always be outdoors but I'm wondering when they can. Thank you.

If it gets over 90 degrees I would start to watch them. If they start to stretch out or pant, I would consider giving them some bottles of ice to lean against. I'm not certain how high they can tolerate since I keep mine indoors, but they'll usually tell you if they're uncomfortable if you watch them.

If it gets over 90 degrees I would start to watch them. If they start to stretch out or pant, I would consider giving them some bottles of ice to lean against. I'm not certain how high they can tolerate since I keep mine indoors, but they'll usually tell you if they're uncomfortable if you watch them.
Thank you @Nabiki for this valuable info.

Back
Top Bottom