1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about my Easter Egger

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AmandaMae, Apr 20, 2016.

1. AmandaMae

AmandaMae Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2014
    Michigan
    I recently received 8 chicks,all different breeds from a mail order. They are now 3.5 weeks old. One is an Easter Egger and she is the slowest to develop.I know all breeds develop differently and have different features. But I'm starting to wonder whether she really is a she for some reason. She is also the most shy out of all chicks. Also has a ton of toes! I am new to this...I've included a few photos..I appreciate any insight!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  2. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Now, don't take this as gospel, since photos are not reliable indicators of color. But the comb appear more pink than pale yellowish. It may be a cockerel. They do tend to lag on tail and wing development.

Watch the comb. It will turn more red each week if it's a male. Compare to the other pullets. If the comb is as pale yellow as the others, then it's a pullet.

3. Allkindsofkinds

Allkindsofkinds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Apache Junction, AZ
    That is not an ee. That is a salmon faverolle.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    x2, and it might be a cockeral if it continues to feather darker.

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Agreed. It is a Faverolles pullet. Definitely female even with the slow feathering. Where did you get her?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  6. AmandaMae

Jan 16, 2014
    Michigan
    So sorry I'm just now seeing everyone's reply! I got her from My Pet Chicken. Was supposed to be an Easter Egger. If it's a salmon faverolle that is just fine :) Week 5 and "she" is still the slowest to develop. All other chicks are mostly feathers and bits of fuzz. She's half and half, feathers slowly coming in. Also still the least social and just started perching. It's so hard to tell with the combs as I have 7 other chicks all different breeds. Everyone's combs seem to be a bit different.

7. Allkindsofkinds

Mar 27, 2016
    Apache Junction, AZ
    What other breeds did you order? She may have been a hatch day substitute if their ees did not hatch as they had expected.

8. AmandaMae

Jan 16, 2014
    Michigan
    I did click the no substitutions box when ordering. Mainly because I red into the breeds and choose for specific reasons. I chose the Easter eggs because I love the fluffy face... but I'm happy with the chicks cute little face no matter what breed! Also choose a barred rock (my favorite chick), red star, silver laced Wyandotte, speckled Sussex, white crested polish bantam, white silkie bantam and buff orphington.

9. Allkindsofkinds

Mar 27, 2016
    Apache Junction, AZ
    Then you'll want to call the company. Because you did not want substitutions, someone mixed up the faverolle bin for the ee bin.who knows if others got the same mistake.

Last edited: May 1, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by