Questions about our new baby chicks that arrived today! =-)

Quote:
We have 3 golden retrievers and the "leader" is a female that mothers ANYTHING! She dotes over chicks, pouts because we won't let her "adopt" the goats' kids, and slobber bathes any kitten she can get her lips on!
big_smile.png

Lol! That sounds like Goldens...all slobber! My female, Kendra, licks everything...including us. I will be working on my laptop on the couch and she'll come up and start licking my hands or feet. Crazy dog....but I love her to death.

This is her first experience at being a 'momma'. I'm kinda waiting to see what happens when we move the chicks in a month and a half to my parent's house down the road. They have much more room then I do and an awesomely well-built old wood three car carport with an attached garage that we are converting into the ultimate chicken coop.

So, another question. I have about four chicks that had pasty butt. I cleaned them and have been continuing to monitor them. It
reoccurred with all of them and I cleaned them up again. Is there anything I can do to help them get over it?

OMGosh...they are adorable! Have a good time!!

I especially loved the pic of the chick falling asleep in the feeder! Priceless!

We're placing our order in a few weeks (I'm impatient, I want to do it NOW! lol) and I can't wait to see them!!

Celtictrinity -- are you in Portland Oregon or Maine?

I, too, went the "variety" route when I ordered 12 chicks last year. I have a Blue Cochin named Clara and she is one beautiful bird! I also have White and Partridge Cochin hens (Betty White and Reba). I wanted to be able to name them all and tell them apart. Plus, I wanted brown and blue/green egg layers, friendly birds, and the MyPetChicken breed selector tool said these were all good ones. I really love having the variety!!

Now I have an eclectic flock of beautiful girls. My rooster is a French Black Copper Marans, and I have one BCM hen. We just hatched 4 of their eggs on Wednesday, and I made a trip to the feed store today to add RIR, Welsummer, and Speckled Sussex pullets. It's an addiction, I tell you...

wsdareme - Portland, Or!

I love Cochins. I so wish I had one. I might try to find one before the babies get too much bigger.

With us, it was more that my daughter wants to show them and we honestly have no show experience so I figured more breeds gives us more options. Plus, I kinda like the different colors and personalities that come with the varying breeds. =-)

Thanks for all the well-wishes and compliments! I'm hoping to take some more pictures of my little weirdos doing their odd things. I was in the kitchen earlier and my husband was yelling at me from the garage saying " Hurry and come here...something's wrong with this chick...I think it's leg is broken!!!" I rush out there and look into the brooder to see one of the chicks laying down under the heat lamp with one of her legs stretched out behind her and her kinda on her side with a wing splayed out and eyes closed. It was sunbathing itself!! I leaned over the box and gently stroked her head and her eyes popped open and she jumped up and went to get something to drink. =-)

Silly little things...

just letting you no if you want to show you wont have any luck with any birds from a hatchery look for a breeder on here with eggs and hatch good quality birds not hatchery stock

Well, it's 4-H showing...which is a bit different. =-) We aren't in it for professional showing. The birds will mainly be her project and pets...and the eggs will be nice too.

Some new pics...with momma golden retriever on hand to make sure we take care of the babies!

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

Celtictrinity,

I see you're in Portland. I was at Naomi's Organic Farm Supply this morning and they have gold laced, red, and white cochins right now.

Back
Top Bottom