questions about selling eggs

I'm looking into this, just out of curiosity. Here's what I found:

"There are no specific requirements for egg producers selling directly to a consumer or a first receiver. Maintaining eggs at 45ºF for safety, cleaning eggs and packing eggs in clean, properly labeled containers is recommended."

I don't know what a "first receiver" is. Anybody know?

It does go on to say:

"Licensed food establishments can obtain eggs directly from the producer if the producer is a MDARD licensed processing establishment. Michigan food laws require that egg processors (i.e. those that clean, grade or break eggs) be licensed by MDARD. The Food Code, section 3-202.13 requires food establishments to receive eggs that are clean and sound and be grade AA, A, or B. Eggs must be held at refrigeration temperatures. Egg cartons or other packaging materials must be clean and properly labeled."

The Michigan Legislature verbiage is long, but at the end it says"

(10) This act does not apply to a person who meets all of the following requirements:
(a) Is directly responsible for producing eggs from fewer than 3,000 hens.
(b) Only sells eggs directly to consumers or first receivers.
(c) Only sells eggs in containers that each bear a label stating "packaged in a facility that has not been inspected by the department.".
(d) Does not sell eggs through the internet or by mail order or consignment.

So I think I can sell to people, but not restaurants. Interesting!

Are they truly organic, meaning nothing but organic feed from the day they hatched?
To further check: are these "organic" or certified organic? It's more than just feed, even the land they're living on has to pass inspection.

If "organic," you can probably to tell your buyers, if asked, that they're fed organic feed, but do not use the word organic on any packaging, labeling, fliers, etc. or claim that they're organic. Probably little risk if you're just selling over the fence to neighbors but you don't want to incur fines for selling a mislabeled product.

And organic chicken eggs go for as much as $9+ a dozen here. I paid $8 for a dozen last year when the chickens didn't resume laying fast enough after winter.

I also sell mine for $2 a dozen. The farmers market sells them for $2.50

I only sell to family, friends and neighbors. I normally sell out. I do stock up on eggs for the winter by freezing the eggs so that I have some.

I put a sign in my front yard with the words FRESH, ORGANIC EGGS and a little box with my business cards (i'm an artist). They call or text for a pick up. I ask them to bring a basket or carton. Lots leave me cartons by my front gate. Some even call when the sign is not out. And I do the same for my honey. I do have names and phone numbers I can text when I have either. I list their names as Eggs-Alice, Eggs-Crystal, Honey-Anna etc.One lady only wants a certain color. I was charging what Trader Joes and the farmer's market did but I don't mass produce so I get a little more. My people are happy. I'm happy and my girls are happy.

i’ve been considering starting to sell my eggs because i get so many and i was thinking the money could also go towards my feed. I was wondering where would be a good place to advertise? i was thinking facebook market place. i was also wondering how much would be a reasonable price for fresh organic eggs?
thank you !
I would recommend advertising though your local "Next Door" group that your customers are your neighbors. You can find yours by going to Nextdoor.com. As far as pricing, I would look at the local farmers market to see what the eggs are going for. I personally probably don't charge enough for my eggs, but I have elderly customers and am happy to help. One lady buys 5 dozen every month for her husband who eats 2 eggs every morning for breakfast. I ask for 2 dollars a dozen because she saves the cartons for me, but she always insists on giving me $20.00 and says the extra is for their feed. I love my chickens and never intended them to be a money making endeavor, they bring me so much joy and that is priceless.

I suppose a restaurant could be a "first receiver". They are not re-selling them, they are using them. There might be a list of definitions in the document where this was.
A restaurant is not a first receiver because it resells the eggs to the consumer, even though the eggs are mixed in with other ingredients or otherwise processed and resold.

Back
Top Bottom