Questions about starting with turkeys

philbo

Hatching
6 Years
May 6, 2013
My wife and I have a 16 bird chicken flock in our 3/4 acre back yard. We are considering adding a turkey or 2 and I had a couple questions. If we just added a Tom would he try to mount the chickens? My first thought would be no, but I didn't know if during mating season he might get frustrated. If we did have just 1 Tom would he integrate into the chicken flock or would he get lonely! I know turkeys are social so I would want him to be happy. His main function would be as a lawn ornament and also to serve as a deterrent to the feral cats in the area.

I just tried turkeys this year. I got them as poults and already had established chickens. I don't know if it's because the turkeys were little and the chickens were big but the turkeys (who are now over 20 lbs) are skittish around the chickens. Never had any problem with the toms in the group getting frisky with the chickens. I don't even know if domestic turkeys have a breeding season like wild ones do. All I can say with certainty is that I'm really glad I got turkeys. They've been no trouble and added a lot of variety to the farm yard. Good luck to you!!

You might have issues with the birds establishing a pecking order but I don't think you should ever have any issues with them trying to breed. I would however suggest you consider getting more than one turkey as they are social animals who enjoy living and feeding together in flocks.

Last edited:
So trying one Tom and letting him socialize with just the chicken hens wouldn't be enough for him?

I have a similar situation (lone turkey...not by choice).....my baby Wishbone is alone after a tragedy took her bro Giblet. She holds her own w the chickens but prefers to run w my ducks and geese. No matter the time of day or who she is w u can tell she knows she just doesn't fit in completely. However she does respond when she hears my new Royal Palm babies.

I have a similar situation (lone turkey...not by choice).....my baby Wishbone is alone after a tragedy took her bro Giblet. She holds her own w the chickens but prefers to run w my ducks and geese. No matter the time of day or who she is w u can tell she knows she just doesn't fit in completely. However she does respond when she hears my new Royal Palm babies.

Poor girl. I hope she gets some company one day.

@Philbo..It can be done, but I don't recommend keeping only one turkey. They are just extremely social creatures and like to be with others of their same kind.

Back
Top Bottom