Questions aout fertile eggs?

The Chicken People

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Smithville, Mo
I am getting fertile eggs from my friend to sell ....I want to give my broody hen three eggs to sit on... at what temp should the eggs be kept before he brings them over? I live 30 miles from him! The ones he brings me for selling have been refridgerated so I assume they cant be hatched now?

Last edited:
It isn't ideal but it can be done. In the past two months, silkiechicken and I have hatched out a dozen chicks from refrigerated eggs. Most of them had been in the fridge for 3 weeks. Just FYI.

30246_dsc03244.jpg

Thinking of making this into an incubator!

Quote:
You could try; I can't see why it would hurt. According to silkiechicken, she has hatched eggs stored up to 4 weeks in the fridge. We hatched ours in the incubator but if I had some fertile eggs left at the moment, I'd stick them under my broody hen just to see what happened! I'm waiting on eggs to come in the mail...they are lost somewhere. Sigh.

I just wanted to pop in here and say, I have got 4 eggs from my chickens that I got and brought them in from outside, they were about 2 days old (sat outside for 2 days), been ranging 30 to 37 degrees outside, I put them in my incubator just for fun while I awaited my eggs in the mail to arrive, and today at day 5 my 4 little cold outside eggs have babies in them!!!!

Quote:
Very cool!
clap.gif
Congrats! I truly believe anything is possible with eggs and it never hurts to try. The eggs I have coming in the mail have been on a truck for a week now in subzero temps. I'm going to stick them under my broody and in the incubator anyway...who knows!

Back
Top Bottom