Questions aout fertile eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Chicken People, Dec 10, 2009.

1. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I am getting fertile eggs from my friend to sell ....I want to give my broody hen three eggs to sit on... at what temp should the eggs be kept before he brings them over? I live 30 miles from him! The ones he brings me for selling have been refridgerated so I assume they cant be hatched now?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  2. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    i believe the refridgerated eggs cant be hatched

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    just keep at room temp till ready to incubate you can always try to incubate a refrigerated egg, its been done, but isnt ideal.

4. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    It isn't ideal but it can be done. In the past two months, silkiechicken and I have hatched out a dozen chicks from refrigerated eggs. Most of them had been in the fridge for 3 weeks. Just FYI.

5. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    [​IMG]
    Thinking of making this into an incubator!

6. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I have fertile eggs in fridge that I could stick under my broody hen?

7. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:You could try; I can't see why it would hurt. According to silkiechicken, she has hatched eggs stored up to 4 weeks in the fridge. We hatched ours in the incubator but if I had some fertile eggs left at the moment, I'd stick them under my broody hen just to see what happened! I'm waiting on eggs to come in the mail...they are lost somewhere. Sigh.

8. brandibaby23

brandibaby23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    I just wanted to pop in here and say, I have got 4 eggs from my chickens that I got and brought them in from outside, they were about 2 days old (sat outside for 2 days), been ranging 30 to 37 degrees outside, I put them in my incubator just for fun while I awaited my eggs in the mail to arrive, and today at day 5 my 4 little cold outside eggs have babies in them!!!!

9. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Very cool! [​IMG] Congrats! I truly believe anything is possible with eggs and it never hurts to try. The eggs I have coming in the mail have been on a truck for a week now in subzero temps. I'm going to stick them under my broody and in the incubator anyway...who knows!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by