Questions! Building 5x8 coop

It has come down to crunch time. I’ve been going back-and-forth whether to do an external or internal nest hut mainly because of winter, driving rain as discussed and predators. I’ve decided on front opening insulated nesting boxes. Internal I would cut into my sq footage and I’d rather not do that. Hopefully I don’t regret it too much.

And I still have yet to decide on people door placement :oops: . Don’t judge me @aart ! :lau Depending how irritated I get with Mother Nature, I may decide to do an overhang on door post build as well

And I still have yet to decide on people door placement :oops: . Don’t judge me @aart ! :lau
I was just thinking about this......if putting the door off to the side offends your aesthetics, maybe adding a window to that wall(at end of roost) would balance things out visually?
Was also wondering.....is this coop going to be inside the building that needs repair?
IIRC that was the plan, but that might have changed and I missed it.

I was just thinking about this......if putting the door off to the side offends your aesthetics, maybe adding a window to that wall(at end of roost) would balance things out visually?
Was also wondering.....is this coop going to be inside the building that needs repair?
IIRC that was the plan, but that might have changed and I missed it.

A window could possibly satisfy my OCD!

This coop will not be inside the existing building as originally discussed. I would have to deconstruct the coop in order to get it out so decided just to build where it was easy to get to when comes time to sell. That could’ve been a conversation in my head and I forgot to let you know! I’m awesome like that.

Insulation is a moot point when you have open vents to allow the moisture to escape. What you don't want is a breeze in the roost area while allowing the moisture to rise up and escape out high up vents. You don't need a draft to let the moisture out just open areas up high.

I'm converting 1/2 of my garden shed to a coop and the only reason I'm insulating the walls now is for future proofing in case I want to use the building for something that is heated later on. I'm covering the insulated walls with OSB and it's covered with T-111 on the outside so not much risk of mice getting in and making a nice cozy home in the walls.

JT

That’s what I thought as for insulating... would escape through roof which would cancel it out. I’m so uneducated but learning lol Last winters low was -18 with -30 wind. Yikes! I have a large south facing window and I’m hoping it acts as a heater as I don’t plan on using a heat lamp at all. Was hoping to keep some of that heat in for winter even if draft free

Back
Top Bottom