Questions! Building 5x8 coop

Here she is so far! Shingled as well but hard to capture in the dark. Hopefully shingles are somewhat straight in the daylight :cool: The weather was just short of amazing today. Tomorrow will be nest box, framing one more window, window install and the interior. I decided to center people door and run roosts along south 5ft wall and 5 ft total from south wall to north wall forming an L. That leaves me with 3ft of space on left side to walk into coop, PVC feeder, trash bin, etc if needed

3DF79F9F-73CC-46FE-89EB-5D12C86D1053.jpeg

Ha!! I was just the boss/slave driver/helper. I give and receive orders really well when I want something done ;)

Side note! We have green grass in December. Unreal!
Ohhhhh....Here I thought you were doing this on your own, don't know why<shrugs>

Grass is green here too, 'warm' and sunny for 3rd day now......I don't know quite how to act.

Ha!! I was just the boss/slave driver/helper. I give and receive orders really well when I want something done ;)

Side note! We have green grass in December. Unreal!
It's pretty warm here this week. I'm came home yesterday and had to open all the windows because it was 85° in here. Today I have them open and it's still 79. I have lots of glass on the southern side of the house so it helps with heating bills. But I have had to run the AC several days this Dec. Speaking of grass, I need to cut mine. It's knee high in places.
:gig

Beautiful build, looks like you're going to have a great coop!

Regarding your roosts... if you're only going to have 4 chickens, having them on the short wall should be fine. My coop is 4' x 8' and I have two parallel roosts about 30" high that run the short way, so they're about 4' long each. I put them that way so they would have plenty of room to jump off without hitting the wall. When it's cool all 6 hens squeeze on to one roost. When it's warmer they spread among the two roosts.

5325EFF2-6CEC-4BC7-A968-A0DA15D67566.jpeg
Please help! I need to close some gable vents due to drafts. Which should I close? It’s way drafty. The wind is horrible here. I’m about to break down and do a secure heat lamp but fighting myself not to.

Back
Top Bottom