Questions from a Complete Newbie to Guineas

DuckGirl77

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 19, 2016
New York
I am getting two guinea keets with five chicks in a few days and am curious about a few things .....
First, how fragile are they? I have chicks that will be approximately two weeks old when the guineas and the chicks come, and I am wondering if I will be able to keep them together.
Are they really small compared to chicks?
When they grow up, will they be mean to the chickens even though they were raised with them?
I have several adult chickens in addition to the chicks; would the guineas bother them more than the chickens they were raised with?
Should I keep the guineas and the chickens separate?
What do guineas do to chickens?
I've heard they bother roosters alot. Would it be a good idea to keep a rooster with guineas or not?
They will not be in the same coop as the ducks, but they all will free range, so will they bother the ducks? The chickens are afraid of my ducks b/c the ducks chase them away if they get too close; will they do the same to the guineas?
If I my guineas are cocks, will they try to mate with the ducks or chickens? If so, will this injure any of them?
Is white millet the best thing to use to train the guineas to come to the coop at night?
Thanks in advance for your answers!

Hi there! I just got mine a few days ago, too! Did you read the Raising Guineas 101? That has a lot of answers but I'm sure you're already learning!
How many did you get? I currently have 13...started with 17 but 2 were DOA, 2 so far are gone from pasty butt. I'm a little more vigilant about checking for that now!
I think once the pecking order business is out of the way, either the guineas will mix in with the chickens or they'll stay away to avoid conflict. The best advice I've seen so far is, if you've got the space, after the Guineas are fully feathered and a little older, to keep them in the run but separated from the other chickens. That way, they can see but can't harm each other. From what others have said in other threads, it sounds like the Guineas will stand up for themselves a little more than the chickens when it comes to the ducks but they might heckle the roosters. Of course, that's all when they are a little more grown! Who knows? You might get the ones who refuse to go into the coop and want nothing to do with anyone or anything else with feathers! LOL
Wish you all the best!

Guineas came today and are adorable! I'm not keeping them and the new chicks w/ the two week old chicks since there's a major size difference.

Guineas came today and are adorable! I'm not keeping them and the new chicks w/ the two week old chicks since there's a major size difference.

They should do fine to introduce them now. I find its easier to do the younger they all are. I have an outdoor brooder full of keets and chicks that are a week to a month old. I have 10 keets in the house hatched Saturday that will be going out with them tomorrow.

My keets were raised alongside chicks and quickly outpaced them. As keets no real pecking order issues. Once the male reached maturity recently I have noticed him chasing the hens but no hurting- just letting them know he is the boss. My roo that I just introduced are a different story. But the female guineas have always seemed very meek in my experience.

Thanks, all of you! I will keep that in mind about chickens + guineas, and I will introduce them, too, if it's better now than later. Thx again!

Hi there! I just got mine a few days ago, too! Did you read the Raising Guineas 101? That has a lot of answers but I'm sure you're already learning!
How many did you get? I currently have 13...started with 17 but 2 were DOA, 2 so far are gone from pasty butt. I'm a little more vigilant about checking for that now!
I think once the pecking order business is out of the way, either the guineas will mix in with the chickens or they'll stay away to avoid conflict. The best advice I've seen so far is, if you've got the space, after the Guineas are fully feathered and a little older, to keep them in the run but separated from the other chickens. That way, they can see but can't harm each other. From what others have said in other threads, it sounds like the Guineas will stand up for themselves a little more than the chickens when it comes to the ducks but they might heckle the roosters. Of course, that's all when they are a little more grown! Who knows? You might get the ones who refuse to go into the coop and want nothing to do with anyone or anything else with feathers! LOL
Wish you all the best!
Sorry! Was in a hurry and forgot to answer your questions! Oops.
hide.gif

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I read Raising Guineas 101. I have two guinea keets, one pied and one pearl. I really like lavender, but we'll start with two lol!
13!!! I don't think I could take that many at once!

So, I put them together but then took one out b/c he's HUGE and I was afraid he's squash the little keets by accident. Then I took another out to be with him. Then one of the big chicks still in there wanted to be with her other friends so I put her back. The last one flew out. So, they're not together at the moment. I think I'll try again in a week or so.

They should do fine to introduce them now. I find its easier to do the younger they all are. I have an outdoor brooder full of keets and chicks that are a week to a month old. I have 10 keets in the house hatched Saturday that will be going out with them tomorrow.
Should I put them in the same brooder with a divider first?

My keets were raised alongside chicks and quickly outpaced them. As keets no real pecking order issues. Once the male reached maturity recently I have noticed him chasing the hens but no hurting- just letting them know he is the boss. My roo that I just introduced are a different story. But the female guineas have always seemed very meek in my experience.
Alright. I hope I have females since it looks like I have a (chicken) roo out of the ones I hatched.
he.gif

The roo and Guinea are still working things out. I may have to get rid of the Guinea...he is smaller but tougher, dumber, and more persistent. I won't have him messing with my sweet boy.
So it's not a good idea to keep a male guinea and a roo together .... hmmm .... I don't know what I've got.
hmm.png

Does anyone know if this method works (nostril method :) ?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1087636/can-you-visably-sex-guinea-fowl/40#post_17000407

I hope yours work it out or something! I'm surprised the rooster hasn't done a number on the guinea since roos always seemed pretty tough to me.

Back
Top Bottom