Questions. Help please

Yup he had a big green bucket that he loves. His feathers are pretty nice too. I think he's molting his neck feathers. He has little pin feathers on it and his neck is pretty bare. I bring him in the house after his bath so he can dry off good. Poor bird always has water frozen on his feathers. I'll keep updating 😉 his crop was full this evening and most of his lunchmeat container was empty.

Definitely start offering grit, Geese need is since all the grass/weeds they eat can sometimes get tangled up into a matted ball. I don't offer mine grit but, they have a creek and pond with plenty of grit readily available throughout the year.

d a big green bucket that he loves. His feathers are pretty nice too. I think he's molting his neck feathers. He has little pin feathers on it and his neck is pretty bare. I bring him in the house after his bath so he can dry off good. Poor bird always has water frozen on his feathers. I'll keep updating 😉 his crop was full this evening and most of his

You shouldn't have to bring him inside to "Thaw". Unless his water-repelling feathers aren't working properly, Just a few icicles on him during cold weather is normal, but that shouldn't really be a cause of concern. Can you take a picture of him? He could have Wet feather, One of my ducks had it and every time she bathed, I had to blow dry her off in the house to prevent hypothermia.

I just bring him in and let him walk around in the house or take a bath. He loves to preen in here. He doesn't have wet feather though, the water always rolls right off. I had a duck last summer who had a bad oil gland and she got wet feather, so I know what it's like. He just comes in for fun sometimes, once a week or so. Maybe for about an hour while he takes a bath and then I take him back out when he's dry. I would let him just bathe in his pool outside instead of the bathtub, but his pool is in the back garage and the door is totally frozen shut. The pumps are also frozen so I usually have to lug water out anyway. I know he doesn't technically need a bath and he just needs his bucket, but he loves taking baths so I just let him every once in a while. The ice is usually just on his neck, and I think its just from when he plays with the heated ring in the bottom of his bucket and then he just doesn't preen off.

Checked his feet again tonight, they don't look good. What do I do? They weren't like this last week! Please help! He was walking funny. Right foot first 2 pics. Then the left foot. @azygous @Eggcessive @DiYMama540

Attachments

• 20200220_181425_HDR~2.jpg
    20200220_181425_HDR~2.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200220_181458_HDR.jpg
    20200220_181458_HDR.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200220_181427_HDR~2.jpg
    20200220_181427_HDR~2.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200220_181428_HDR~2.jpg
    20200220_181428_HDR~2.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 8
Here's his poop. He had some normal ones today. This one looks a little strange but he just bathed so it's a little watery from him drinking water. Also another foot pic. He's putting weight on both feet. This is confusing. I think I'm super paranoid about everything because I don't want anything to happen to him, but just want to make sure. I also wormed him last month so he's worm free.

Attachments

• 20200220_182935_HDR.jpg
    20200220_182935_HDR.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200220_183016_HDR.jpg
    20200220_183016_HDR.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 8
His left foot is also warm to the touch. Not hot, but his right is much cooler. His left foot might also be a little larger (swollen?)

Didn't I tell you he was trying to tell you his feet hurt? If he isn't jumping down from high places repeatedly, could he be on wet bedding a lot of the time? The first step is to identify and eliminate the cause of his foot injuries. This is something I've had with my chickens some years back when I didn't understand how important it is to cushion their dismount from high perches.

The treatment is to do warm Epsom salt soaks each day and spray the feet with Vetericyn, and to keep them clean and dry until they heal. If any scabs form and the wounds appear swollen, you may need to debride by pulling the scabs off and cleaning out any pus. If you need to do that, his feet would need to be treated with antibiotic ointment and bandaged.

His feet look like there is just a touch of frostbite where the brown spots are. I would soak his feet in warm Epsom salts water for 20 mintues a day. Then use some Vetericyn wound spray or betadine on them.

Thank you. He's not on wet bedding, he has dry straw in his box. Is there any alternative for vetricyn or betadine? We don't have either and I'm not going to town for at least a week. How long will they take to heal? The neighbor won't do it while we're gone. Sorry Azygous, you were right 😂

Back
Top Bottom