Questions on my Silkie hen and rooster colour and type

TheChookChick

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 19, 2014
Hello! I have a question for all those silkie fans out there! I have a pair of silkies, the rooster is a standard and the hen is a bantam. The hen is black with some colour on her hackles. I looked up the breed standard for silkies in Australia and she seems to fit it but I would like some more experienced opinions about her in regards to breeding/showing. She is still young and has not layer her first egg (I hope that's soon!) As for the rooster, I am dubious on his type but the biggest thing is that I am unsure of his colour and if it is standard .

Thank you in advance:)

Last edited:
I can't really speak to the Australian standard, but by the American standard, your boy has the better type. She looks quite long in the back, and her crest is small compared to everything else. She definitely has better feathering than he does. The colour in the hackles is likely to be a problem. With him, the biggest issues are the comb size (WAY too large) and hard feathering in the tail and wings. His tail looks to be fairly out of condition, so it might look better after a molt. I don;t know what varieties you recognize, so I can't really help there.

Thank you for answering :) yes I feared that the roo had too hard feathering in his wings/tail so I was a bit dubious about him, though he is only 7 months so he is not full grown. After a bit more research, I think the female has the australian type, though her colour is a problem haha. Yes they do look a bit scraggy, I think they need a wash! Thank you again for replying

Back
Top Bottom