Questions on turkey housing

beccaWA

Songster
9 Years
Feb 22, 2012
Eastern WA
I have two Bourbon Red poults in an area in my garage. They are getting bigger (about a month+ old) and I need to figure out housing.

I was thinking of the cattle panel idea, made into a hoop house with one end covered.

Does anyone keep turkeys this way? I'd put it on skids so as to move it around my acre.

I just didn't want to let them free range with my chickens and ducks because of blackhead, and also when they get bigger I'm sure they'll fly over my 5 foot fence into the neighbor's.

Thanks for any ideas. The cheaper, the better!

I use 10x10 dog kennels to keep my birds in. Arc cattle panels over the top and tarp to cover it.

I have not used the cattle panel tractor but I think it would work.

I let my birds free range with my chickens. Dont have ducks but do have several thousand waterfowl visit my farm each fall. Blackhead I think is either you have it in your soil or you dont. If your moving the turkeys in the tractor set up. And your ducks and chickens have been across the ground your exposing the turkey to blackhead if present.

Not sure what your 5 ft fence is made of. But maybe clip the primary flight feathers on one wing. That should maybe keep them from getting over it.

Thanks for the info. I scored really big on Craigslist this morning. I got two 4x4x4 workbenches with open bottoms. Also got a lot of lap siding from the same place. Will stack the two "boxes" on top of each other, reinforce the framing a bit, add some sheet metal roof (already got off CL) and put the lap siding on it. Turkey coop for free.

I have had no luck with my extension office, as they seem to only be "master gardeners" and the one person they gave me to get in contact with has not responded. So as for blackhead, will have to bug them some more or do other research. Maybe call the livestock vet's office.

Thanks again for the tips!

Back
Top Bottom