Questions, questions, questions.....I'm just full of them!

Chris Herzog

Songster
8 Years
Oct 16, 2011
Covington
Hey Guys, if you have a moment, I’ve got some questions….

I’m thinking about building an incubator to use in the spring and if I do so I’m probable going to build my own egg turner. I’m new to all this so some of the questions may sound a little dumb but please bare with me.

I think that I understand the heat and humidity part. I also think that I understand the fan and the fresh air flow. My questions are mainly with the turner. For starters does it matter if the eggs are up right or on their side? If up right is ok, does it really matter if the big end is up or down? Do the eggs have to turn completely or is just a side to side movement all you need? If a side to side movement will work, at what angle to what angle is best, 45 degree to 45 degree? Also, I was thinking about using foam rubber to hold the eggs steady for the first 18 days while in the turner. Good idea or bad? I was not sure if doing so would affect the temp and humidity right close to each egg.

This will get me started but I’m sure I will have more for you all as the times goes.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Blunt end up, pointy end down, ALWAYS! The air cell is at the blunt end. 45 degrees is good, you just want to make sure you are giving them plenty of exercise and not letting that yolk stick to one end or the other. Always tro to turn opposite odd amounts of time so the egg isn't left on the same side every night. Foam rubber? I have no clue about that.

Thanks guys for the replies,

I was thinking about the foam rubber that is precut part of the way into .5” squares. Maybe take out 4 squares at a time and 2 or 3 squares deep to make a hole to place the egg in. Just a thought but I might be over thinking it.

Chris

What I'd worry about with the foam rubber is air circulation. The developing chicks need to breathe through the porous shell. The foam rubber might not work because of that.

Quote:
If you're incubating with the eggs upright, they do need to be fat end up.
But some incubators and turning systems lie the eggs on their sides and roll them from side to side, and that works too.
I don't think one way is better than the other. Either is fine...

Back
Top Bottom