Questions, questions, questions please

kjxoxo1

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 16, 2011
Okay so I'm new to anything bird, chicken...saw to say feather related in terms of raising. I've raised so far about 100 guineas, and chickens. My family absolutely love quails and want me to try my hand at raising some to butcher. I have some questions that I'm hoping you guys could give me some insight to.

1. I'm reading for meat I will want to purchase Jumbo Cotournix quail. Is this the consensus?

2. What is the best hatchery to mail me quail chicks? I really don't want to try to hatch eggs yet.

3. Quail surrogator seems like it's easy to use to raise quails. Is it? Again, I don't want to release but to keep where we can butcher in 6 weeks.

4. I've also read that the Bobwhite quail actually taste the best but are the most difficult to raise. Does anyone have any experience with this?

5. What's the hardest part about raiding quails?

6. Do they bite or rather peck? Will thru fly away easily ( I'm trying to determine the best type of set up I will need for them)

Thank you all so much in advance!!! I'm so happy I stumbled across this board....you guys have helped me out tremendously!!!!
Thanks!!

Okay so I'm new to anything bird, chicken...saw to say feather related in terms of raising. I've raised so far about 100 guineas, and chickens. My family absolutely love quails and want me to try my hand at raising some to butcher. I have some questions that I'm hoping you guys could give me some insight to.
1. I'm reading for meat I will want to purchase Jumbo Cotournix quail. Is this the consensus?
2. What is the best hatchery to mail me quail chicks? I really don't want to try to hatch eggs yet.
3. Quail surrogate seems like it's easy to use to raise quails. Is it? Again, I don't want to release but to keep where we can butcher in 6 weeks.
4. I've also read that the Bobwhite quail actually taste the best but are the most difficult to raise. Does anyone have any experience with this?
5. What's the hardest part about raiding quails?
6. Do they bite or rather peck? Will Thur fly away easily ( I'm trying to determine the best type of set up I will need for them)
Thank you all so much in advance!!! I'm so happy I stumbled across this board....you guys have helped me out tremendously!!!!
Thanks!!

1 yes
2Don't know where your at let us know, someone will holler
.Try Close.Look around on Craig's list search for Quail.Try BYC wanted.
3 never used surrogate so can't answer.If you want 6 week butcher cots and or jumbo cots(A&M/Jumbo Browns) are the only ready that quick .
4 I agree BUT!!They grow slower your 6week butcher will be more like 12/14 week
5 Empty poop trays!KEEPING THINGS CLEAN
6 Bite peck ! NBD My Bobs only when cornered.Jumbo Browns have never..Fly away Bobs, in a NY sec..My Jumbo Brns can fly and land a few yds away and I can walk over and pick them up .
cva34

Yeah, bobwhites have white meat and coturnix have slightly darker meat, so it depends which you like. Bobs take3-4 months to reach a decent size, they are a bit more flighty and will definetly fly away if they get out. They are harder to handle. Coturnix grow fast, are tame, can barely fly unless they are flight conditioned. Raise them in a wire-bottomed cage so the poop falls through onto the ground and you just have to rake it up. They need at least 1/2 square foot of floor space per bird, up to 1 square foot if you're breeding them is reccomended. If you're in the states you could probably find a breeder or hatchery that will send you chicks, but they do not do as well in the mail like baby chickens do. Your best bet is to find someone within driving distance to hatch some our for you and go pick them up. Either that or borrow someone's incubator and order some eggs to hatch out. Once you hatch your first batch you'll be addicted and go out and buy your own incubator and it will never stop running all year LOL

[@cva.... I'm from Mississippi. Thank you both so much for answering my questions. I'm so tempted to get that surrogator because it seems to make things simple. I will need a separate pen from my chicken coop and the only other thing I have is a rabbit hutch. If you guys have any ideas on a archery, please let me know!!!!! Thanks again to both of you for the information!!!!

[@cva.... I'm from Mississippi. Thank you both so much for answering my questions. I'm so tempted to get that surrogator because it seems to make things simple. I will need a separate pen from my chicken coop and the only other thing I have is a rabbit hutch. If you guys have any ideas on a archery, please let me know!!!!! Thanks again to both of you for the information!!!!

Rabbit Hutch is good, just change out the wire to 1/4 inch and there you have it a little pen for these guys.

DONT USE 1/4 INCH IN RABBIT PENS THE POO STICKS TO IT. STAY WITH 1/2 INCH HARDWARE CLOTH... ANYTHING BIGGER DOES NOT PROTECT THEM FROM PREDATORS, ANYTHING SMALLER THE POO WILL CLOG UP AND BUILD UP ON

You guys are awesome!!! Thank you!!! And I meant hatchery not archery... Dang auto text!!!

You guys are awesome!!! Thank you!!! And I meant hatchery not archery... Dang auto text!!!

mmm, I would pic from a good breeder. I actually don't live in the states nor have ordered from hatcheries, only breeders in Canada.... But I've heard good things about a few of the breeders. Theirs a breeders post that breeders post in, Actually save you alot of time looking for it, Here's the link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/460102/second-try-gamebird-breeder-directory#post_5817690

Back
Top Bottom