1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quick canning question, please!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by JessicaGrant, Sep 7, 2008.

1. JessicaGrant

JessicaGrant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Western Mass
    I am making unsweetened apple sauce with Macs (kind of tart.) Can I can with boiling water or do I need to pressure cook it? The recipe says process with boiling water but a friend said something that made me worry. Thanks!!

2. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    My Mom always did boiling water bath but that was a long time ago. We freeze ours now.

3. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    I don't pressure mine however I do a water bath instead. Completly cover the jars with water and heat to boiling then boil for 15 minutes to preserve them. Good Luck

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Water bath is fine for applesauce. Add 1 teaspoon lemon juice or 1/2 teaspoon citric acid to each jar to ensure high enough acidity.

I like this website a lof for their canning guidance. It's what I used to learn to can last year. http://www.pickyourown.org/applesauce.htm

I
    used a stick blender like this for my applesauce:
    [​IMG]

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Hey. I can get lots of free apples, maybe I will make some apple sauce for christmas.

How long does it last (not opened)?

6. JessicaGrant

Jun 22, 2008
    Western Mass
    Great, thanks!! I really want a pressure canner but haven't gotten one yet...and I have ten pounds of apples I picked this morning cooking on the stove! :)

7. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    If the apple asuce is sealed it will last for years .

8. JessicaGrant

Jun 22, 2008
    Western Mass
    Quote:I canned some last fall and it was fine through the winter. Really yummy!

9. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    If you're going to go to the trouble of canning apples, why not make apple pie filling alongside the sauce? As soon as my apple tree ripens I'm going to make a few quarts. Keep some phyllo dough in the freezer and you can make fresh turn-overs all winter!

10. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    deleted duplicate post

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by