Quick question about the barring gene

Henriettta

Songster
Apr 28, 2021
Coleman, Wi
Rather than beating around the bush for hypotheticals, I'll say what I've got going on here

I have a hen that lays blue eggs, she has feathers on her legs and is notably barred.
It's as if she's a chochin x barred rock x EE, or perhaps a barred maran x EE

I incubated one of her eggs, fertilized by a brown leghorn. (Honestly, just for curiousitys sake, and because she's from my original flock and getting old

So with her having a barred gene, is it safe to say that any chicks of hers would have the barring if they were female? Or because she is such a mixed breed, would barring not be a reliable way to sex her offspring?

Her chick hatched with partridge color & feathery legs. Male?

It's occuring to me that I may have the male/female barring results mixed up. If the chick has barring, it's a male? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I must apologize, as I'm very new to genetics and am trying to understand

Barring works the same on pure and mixed breeds. When using a non barred rooster over a barred hen the chicks will be sex-links, males barred and females non barred.

Barring works the same on pure and mixed breeds. When using a non barred rooster over a barred hen the chicks will be sex-links, males barred and females non barred.
Agreed.
Also, OP, your hen sounds like she has some cuckoo marans and Easter egger in her.

Back
Top Bottom