Quick Question on worming meds

Good point.

False readings are why it was recommended with NPIP testing that I not get AI and MG tests.
Opening a can of worms - so to speak.

Last edited:
Someone with a critically ill adult peahen had one vet do a fecal and the results were negative. Two to three days later she had another done by her dog vet and he found a large amount of coccidia *and* capillary worms.

-Kathy

The vets that have done fecals on some of my friends birds usually report coccidia.

I don't worry about coccidia since chickens that aren't on wire will likely have coccidia as any pastured animal will have the parasite present. IMHO, the goal with this protozoa is not to prevent infection but to prevent disease.

None of my peafowl and turkey fecals have shown coccidia, but I haven't ever suspected a coccidia problem with them, just the dreaded blackhead and E. coli that usually goes with it. :(

The sick peahen had a third fecal which showed no coccidia and way less capillary eggs.

-Kathy

Quote:
Thanks Dawg. I was mistaken concerning the pox. Thanks for calling that out. I was under the impression that pox = canker. I guess they have similar yellow spots. When I had Jet, we all (on this forum) thought it might be canker. It certainly had all the indications. When I got the necropsy, they determined it was cancer, but she could have had canker which might have figured into the etiology of the cancer. They did not find active canker.

The SG I picked up at a local feed store, it's for horses. It cost about $12. The Valbazen was a little harder to find - got at Jeffers for like $40 or so (enough for 1000), and had to add on some other stuff to get the free shipping :) But it took so long to get here I just went ahead with the second tx of SG rather than wait another four days for the Valbazen to arrive. But I got it now Yeah! Also got Corid, just in case you never know. Guess I'm a little paranoid after reading everything that can happen. But I'm learning so much from ya'all, thank you thank you!

False readings are why it was recommended with NPIP testing that I not get AI and MG tests.
Opening a can of worms - so to speak.

Okay, NPIP is National Poultry Improvement Plan, and AI refers to testing for avian flu, MG is the Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. had to look it up.

... if I brought in the 'patient'. I said, "which of these 60 chickens do you want me to bring in?"

Yes, I know all about that, that way they can charge for the full exam, weigh it, xrays, samples of blood, the whole nine yards. That's why 2 chickens cost me $800.

I thought the resistance developed was with the target worm, not the host.

http://genome.wustl.edu/projects/detail/drug-resistance-in-parasitic-worms-cip/

http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/controlgoatparasites.html

http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=25878

ETA

I think location matters a lot too. You guys in the SE or any warm moist climate may be right to worm on a schedule.
It's +5 F out there right now, I don't think the worms are too prolific now.
I have wormed a rooster once but that's it.

Just like with antibiotics and bacterial resistance, underdosing anthelmintics promotes the development of resistance.

I live near Disneyland, so it is mostly dry here. In fact all the storms seem to miss us! I read somewhere tho that it is normal for chickens to have a certain load of worms, I mean not tapes or anything, but maybe roundworms. That it is only a problem when it gets "out of balance". Love to hear your thoughts on this. But when we worm them, doesn't that get rid of all of the worms? I don't normally worm them since they are not on pasture and not exposed that much to wild birds. I have their feed and water where wild birds cannot poop in it - they definitely can't drink out of it - (thinking canker). But I guess I'll put them on a worming schedule. It's not that hard on their system right? I read some of your posts that they had more pep afterward and I thought "Yeh right some imagination" - but you know what? It's true. Mine did pep up - all of them. LOL.

Quote:
Wet or dry soil, worm eggs are everywhere and not only on and in the soil, on grass and weeds as well. One roundworm is one roundworm too many. Some people might laugh at that, but consider this; one roundworm lays thousands of eggs each day onto your soil. Chickens are always eating grass and pecking the ground...that's when they pick up the eggs directly. Google the roundworms lifecycle and you'll see what I'm talking about. If you ever see one worm in feces, it's because there wasnt any more room in the digestive tract for it to suck blood and was excreted...or it simply died. How many worms roundworms attach themselves onto the intestinal lining? Here's a pic for you. How many eggs do they lay in one day contaminating your soil? Some types of worm eggs can stay in the soil for years, even in heat or cold. Cocci protozoa are everywhere also. Is it normal for your dog or cat to have worms and only treat them when they "get out of balance?" How about a human? Google what damage worms do to animals and humans internally...chickens included.

Back
Top Bottom