Quick Question: Order Chicks from CA or OH?

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
Long story short:

Had a bad experience with a chick order a while back. Nervous about ordering online again, but many breeders near me are not selling this year for various reasons.

I live in CA. Should I order from California Hatchery (in CA) that is waaay more expensive?

Or should I order from Meyer (in OH), which is waaay farther but also waaay cheaper?

TIA!

Last edited:
Many hatcheries I don't think are shipping right now. Most hatcheries put heat packs in with the chicks to help keep them warm and they are shipped 2nd day priority mail. Also they may require a larger amount of chicks. Some will possibly add males as packing peanuts. I guess it depends on what kind of risk you want to take and when the hatcheries can ship. Good luck...

Years ago I ordered some chicks and their was a delay so they arrived a day late but all were well.
That's always great to hear! I had an order that was delayed, and opened a box of dead chicks. I want to avoid that again. That was from MPC, and the chicks were not packaged well. They put all the bantams with the standards, and all of the bantams were crushed. The delay killed the rest of the chicks the next day.

My first order was from California Hatchery, and they arrived perfectly healthy! The different sizes were separated. I'm just trying to decide of the extra $ is worth it for a shorter trip when Meyer has the breeds I want for less.

Many hatcheries I don't think are shipping right now. Most hatcheries put heat packs in with the chicks to help keep them warm and they are shipped 2nd day priority mail. Also they may require a larger amount of chicks. Some will possibly add males as packing peanuts. I guess it depends on what kind of risk you want to take and when the hatcheries can ship. Good luck...
Thanks. I'm considering putting in an order now to be shipped in April to make sure I get the breeds I want. Just so hesitant...

In years past I shipped some of my chicks but now I only ship eggs. I had no problems but didn't ship in colder weather. Again, good luck and have fun...

Last spring I ordered 13 chicks from Murray McMurray. (IOWA) they were so nice to work with. All 13 ( different breeds) arrived healthy and are thriving. Also I requested females and all ended up females. I didn’t order any bantum. What breeds are you ordering?

Last spring I ordered 13 chicks from Murray McMurray. (IOWA) they were so nice to work with. All 13 ( different breeds) arrived healthy and are thriving. Also I requested females and all ended up females. I didn’t order any bantum. What breeds are you ordering?
I'm only ordering standard sized birds this time. I'm looking at getting a Swedish Flower, a Blue Polish, an Easter Egger and a Spitzhauben. Or maybe a Sumatra.

Back
Top Bottom