Quick Question: Pale Comb on 1 yo Brahma

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
Hello!

My dear Brahma Aster has a very pale comb. Can this be caused by molting? She's at the tail end of her molt (no pun intended). Or should I go ahead and treat for worms just to err on the safe side?

Some additional info:
  • 1 yr old Buff Brahma
  • Eating, drinking, acting normally
  • Not laying at the moment, it's been about 2 weeks
  • A mite/lice check came out clean
  • Crop, vent, beak, eyes, feet all look good
  • I feed Scratch & Peck grower
  • Minimal treats (worms, BOSS, table scraps) 1 or 2x/week
  • In covered run most of the day, forages 3+ hours every day
  • She's recently caught the eye of my clumsy 4.5 mo cockerel, which may be stressing her out
Thanks in advance!

15723097762326844516870412923222.jpg

Combs go pale when birds are out of production. A molt is one reason. It can also be from other reasons like health problems, so be sure to evaluate her overall. Generally if a bird is eating, drinking, and scratching about they generally are okay.

That's a really pale comb not sure what the case is here but could be hormones molt or lack of circulation

All my out of lay hens look like that right now.
Thanks for that, @Kathy Golla . That makes me feel much better. I will wait a couple of weeks to see what happens when she comes back into lay. I gave her another look over at bed time, and the poor dear has a gazillion pin feathers coming in. Probably uncomfortable, and there I was poking at her....

BTW - It's good to hear from you! I've been kind of MIA because of work. I need to get caught up on everybody's doings.

@Aunt Angus
Me too about needing to catch up...when the hens go into molt and stop laying, at least after they get their feathers back they get to feeling good..reproductive systems get a break.
Dealing with the high winds and power outages like u are..distracting. Feel bad for the folks in Sonoma County..this may be their new normal.
Hens did pretty well with the latest wind event.
Preparing for winter...hard to know when any rains will come.

Back
Top Bottom