Quick question re: egg colour and this cross breed...

Polkadots

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Hiya, I've been given some eggs to hatch after admiring the farmers beautiful hens, he says they Polish X black rock. All three hens are a stunning black with a green sheen to their coat and two out of the three have the pom-poms on their heads. Their eggs are a stunning green colour, and I was wondering if this cross would produce green eggs? Their definitely Polish cross but I'm unsure as to the black rock part...

Many thanks in advance :)

They sound like a pretty cross, they should lay light brown eggs, you need a parent with the blue egg gene for the offspring to lay green ... Polish lay cream/light brown eggs and Black Rock is usually a name for a black sex link that is Rhode Island Red X Plymouth Barred Rock which also lay brown eggs ...

They sound like a pretty cross, they should lay light brown eggs, you need a parent with the blue egg gene for the offspring to lay green ... Polish lay cream/light brown eggs and Black Rock is usually a name for a black sex link that is Rhode Island Red X Plymouth Barred Rock which also lay brown eggs ...

Yep - sounds like there's a bit more to his "mix" than he shared, which may be as simple as the parent stock having not been pure specimens of their respective breeds to begin with.

Thanks you two :)

Ol Grey Mare, your profile pic looks very similar to my old lady
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom