Quick question??

bobby d

Songster
9 Years
Mar 10, 2010
Texas
Just wondering if I ship a 7 wk old chick over night will he be ok without food or water? Or should rig up something for him to have water and feed?
idunno.gif

I'm located in Texas and will be going to Ohio. If I over night it, it will ship out in the AM and reach them at noon the next day. Their only wanting 1 bird. I've thought about sending 2 just in case but just don't know.

Quote:
I would completely advise against this, simply because chickens are flock animals, and will become heartbroken not having a friend. I am sure the people wanting this bird have no idea what will happen with one bird. It will cry, not lay, become morose.....

I recently went through this with my turkeys. One male one female, the female passed, and the male refused to eat and finally passed on. They do not live long without another of their kind.

I'm not sure it is even legal to ship birds of that age - you might check with the shipper. Beyond that, it is cruel to subject a lone chick to the stress of shipment by itself. If the buyer cares so little for the bird that he/she is willing to put it through that, why would you want to sell to them?

Thanks debiraymond, yes not all of us are experts, hints why we ask questions on here. It's a wonderful site to learn from. Thank you to everyone that helped me out. It made my decsion easier.

Quote:
I would contact the buyer and educate them as to why one is not a good idea. It would eventually die anyways, unless by some miracle they decided to make it a house chicken and carry it everywhere with them. It's been done!!!
lol.png
Laying is another issue with only having one. They lay every 25 hours... so about 6 eggs a week. Kind of silly if you ask me.

Yea..it's a cockrel. However he would be going straight into a flock just a couple weeks younger than him and will become a show roo for their son. I prob won't send him I don't want him to die.

Back
Top Bottom