1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quiet, friendly, small bantams?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by moody-chicken, Feb 2, 2013.

1. moody-chicken

moody-chicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    Hi I am wanting to keep 4-8 bantam chickens and ideally Id like they to be fairly quiet because I have neighbours but also friendly and small in size. I really like the fluffy rounded look of either brahmas or pekins. Is there much of a difference in size and temperament between these two breeds or is there another breed that would be better suited? Thanks

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  2. JacobMaxwell

JacobMaxwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I have a pen of bantam cochin (pekin) hens and just love them! I got them to be broodies for my big girls and didn't expect much in the way of egg production but they've laid quite well. Mine aren't pets and I don't handle them but they're calm, quiet and just flat pretty. My only problem is I live where it rains a lot and the feathered feet look a mess, I work hard to keep their pen dry.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Cochins or Brahmas in the bantam size are wonderful little fluffy-wuffy ladies. I have brahma mix bantam daughters of my favorite bantam dark Brahma hen, and they're just as broody.

Adorable little hens.

5. moody-chicken

moody-chicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    Thanks I love the look of brahma bantams too. Do they both lay the same amount and are they the same size?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by