Quiet Peafowl, Anybody interested???

I figure I'll charge 150 like for a rooster, since its the same procedure. I just have never tried it on a peacock but supposedly its all the same on the inside. I was putting this out there to try one for free since I actually have never done a pea cock.

Hey everybody. Heres my introduction. Im a veterinarian in eastern OK, I have worked up a procedure to lessen the volume that a rooster has when he crows. My mentor who taught me this procedure says the anatomy of pea fowl is the same as in chickens. He told me this procedure works to quieten down pea fowl. I have heard of people interested in this, some of the zoos actually.

Anyway, I have never tried this on a peacock but have been successful with roosters. So, Im posting this question to see if there is any interest in offering this procedure. If somebody is interested and willing, I would do the surgery on a bird for free to see how well it works.

Any opinions are appreciated. You can check out my decrowing thread here on BYC too.

Thanks heaps.

Dr. James
That's great to know. I am no where near you, and don't have a problem, but I also know I can't own more than one male- or the noise WILL be a problem. You should keep posting this, so it gets seen. A person started another thread here recently,because he wants to try and have Peafowl in the city- I think he might be interested in your services.

I actually went to town hall in both my current town and the city I moved out of and bought this up to them. Both said basically the same thing. The city told me that roosters are NOT allowed in the city limits whether they have vocal cords or not. The main reason is a rooster attacks people. The city also considers peacocks the same as roosters. You can however have peahens in city limits. They said not to put an animal through that it is still illegal in city limits. My town told me the same thing basically except I would need 3 acres or more to have a male peacock or rooster whether they make noise or not. My questions: Your asking people who paid a lot of money for a peacock (or a bird worth a lot of money) to let you use them for a guinea pig on this. What happens if the bird dies? Roosters are a dime a dozen but most of the time you can get them FREE. Who is gonna replace the bronze (or opal, BS, IB, Pied, Silver Pied, etc) peacock that died from this procedure? The replacement can run $200 and up plus shipping. You even stated it's "supposedly all the same on the inside" shouldn't you do your homework and be sure before asking people to commit to something like this? Let me guess the person has to sign something that states your not responsible if the bird dies? If that is so then you should not ask people to do it, after all you stated they are a pet and what a pet is. Bring me your blue dog and I will spay it for you for $50 but you sign this paper first in case it dies.

I am allowed to have peacocks and I have 45 and counting. New people moved in across the street. They called the police and the police told him "Didn't your realtor tell you there was a peacock farm across the street?" The man had to see it for himself and then laughed.

Last edited:
Yep, still haven't had the chance to do one yet. Had somebody interested up north but couldn't get it lined out in time.

Dr. James

Hey everybody.  Heres my introduction.  Im a veterinarian in eastern OK, I have worked up a procedure to lessen the volume that a rooster has when he crows.  My mentor who taught me this procedure says the anatomy of pea fowl is the same as in chickens.  He told me this procedure works to quieten down pea fowl.   I have heard of people interested in this, some of the zoos actually.

Anyway, I have never tried this on a peacock but have been successful with roosters.  So, Im posting this question to see if there is any interest in offering this procedure.  If somebody is interested and willing, I would do the surgery on a bird for free to see how well it works. 

Any opinions are appreciated.  You can check out my decrowing thread here on BYC too.

Thanks heaps.

Dr. James

I have wanted peafowl terribly but couldn't have the noise, don't have any but I would love to buy one if you ever made them quiet! Could You ship them?

Its simple Sams chickens, With the green peafowl you wont even know they are there. I know. Thats one of the main reasons why I have them. Most spauldings ( India BlueX green crosses) are great as well. Spauldings are nowhere near as bad in price and much easier to find than greens.

Its simple Sams chickens, With the green peafowl you wont even know they are there. I know. Thats one of the main reasons why I have them. Most spauldings ( India BlueX green crosses) are great as well. Spauldings are nowhere near as bad in price and much easier to find than greens.
The males don't call during mating season?

Back
Top Bottom