Quietest Chicken Breeds

thegreenestacre

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2021
Duck River, TN
Hi Everyone,

I'm writing an article on the quietest chicken breeds, and was wondering if you could please chime in with your opinion on which quiet breeds would be best for the suburbs.

In my own flock, my Lavender Orpingtons, Golden Comets, and Rhode Island Reds are by far the quietest. I've seen Speckled Sussexes listed as a quiet breed, but my Sussexes are the loudest of all my girls! My Ameruacanas are also quite loud.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Belgian Barbu d'Anvers hens are nice and quiet - mine don't even have an egg song. The roosters more than make up for that with their high pitched, way louder than you'd expect for their size, crow.

Belgian Barbu d'Uccles are similar, but the hens are slightly chattier and go broody about as often as my Silkies. My Silkies are noisier than both of the Belgian breeds.

Hi Everyone,

I'm writing an article on the quietest chicken breeds, and was wondering if you could please chime in with your opinion on which quiet breeds would be best for the suburbs.

In my own flock, my Lavender Orpingtons, Golden Comets, and Rhode Island Reds are by far the quietest. I've seen Speckled Sussexes listed as a quiet breed, but my Sussexes are the loudest of all my girls! My Ameruacanas are also quite loud.

Thank you in advance for your input.
Similar experience here with the Speckled Sussex being LOUD and the Rhode Island Reds being quiet.

I've got a silkie that is by far my loudest hen! Above and beyond the loudest of my large breed chatty Cathy. Sounds kind of like that bird in every movie with a jungle scene that screams bloody murder in the background. All day. My cochins were fairly quiet, Bantam and LF, not the best layers if you're looking for production from an urban flock.

Back
Top Bottom