Quitting Smoking Tomorrow...Not gonna be easy

Quote:
lau.gif
Better start dippin again!
gig.gif

I've never smoked but my parents did when I was a kid. My dad quit and we didn't even know it until he said, "So, I quit smoking a few months ago. . . " and my mom quit shortly thereafter. I know it was harder for her, but thank goodness she quit when she did because now she has PAD and three heart stents. She may not have made it through any of that if she had still been smoking. I have had dreams over the years that I've walked into their house to visit and found one of them smoking- I end up screaming and crying in the dream and wake up very upset. I wish you all the luck in the world!

Best of luck to you! Will it help to know that a friend of mine quit cold turkey after THIRTY+ years of smoking? I think she's only had one slip-up, but she's my inspiration!

My MIL quit smoking w/Chantix after forty some years.

Good luck......find things to keep your mind off doing it. Don't be around people doing it if possible and don't have any around that are left over, get rid of it all. Also have gum, life savers etc. on hand.

Quote:
Good for you!! Both me and my husbnd quit in mid January 1995, cold turkey, six months before our wedding date. It was the hardest thing I ever did. Let me repeat, It was the HARDEST thing I ever did. I was a Respiratory Therapist, so I knew better. He was from a long line of smokers and it was all he knew. I smoked two packs per day and he almost three. I had to have two before I got out of bed in the morning and would often have one with my meal. Yup, with my meal.

It consumed us both, made us stinky, our walls yellow, and stole our money. It may have been the hardest thing to do for both of us, but it was the BEST!!

I can honestly say after smoking for 15 or more years that once I quit I never ever cheated, not once. It was an amazing feeling to overcome every urge I had to light up again. I still get the urge every now and again, but I never once fell victim. It's a great feeling to know you have that strength, and even better to feel healthy again.

Best of Luck to you. You can do it!!!

You didn't ask for my advice, but I am going to give it anyway. My stepfather was a long time smoker. He worked for IBM and they decided it would be better if their employees didn't smoke so they paid for a program to help those that wanted to quit quit. My stepfather wanted to quit so he enrolled. The program was essentially this. For the first week he was not to alter his smoking habit at all. He was however, told to keep a diary and write down every cigarette he smoked, recording what time it was, what he was doing at the time and to rate the cigarette, from one to ten as to how important it was to him. Like one was insignificant and he wouldn't miss it, and ten was very important and he enjoyed it very much. The next week he was to eliminate one of the least important cigarettes, the next week he was to eliminate the next least important, and so on until they were all gone. It must have worked because he quit and never had another cigarette after he finished the program.

Good luck know you can do it. 8 months smoke free. It's not cigarett money any more now it's more chickens money.

Back
Top Bottom