R.C.R.I.R. autopsy what to look for ?

Dee Dee 2

Songster
7 Years
Jun 8, 2012
Tomball, Tx.
The 4th of my chickens has died of this mysterious slow "out to lunch" death. I bundled her in a plastic bag and put her in the freezer. As soon as I can, probably next Wed. I am going to try and do an autopsy (I don't think that is the right word correct me please.) Any tips on how to do ? and what to look for ? I am taking her way across the pasture to do this. Health of the other chickens and preditor attraction from smell, feathers, and etc. How will I know what is normall inside / how should I open her up as not to mess things up inside. THANKS !

I wouldn't put her body in the freezer, but in the refrigerator, wrapped very well. If you send of for a necropsy to a lab, the body won't be any good if frozen.

Normally I would agree 100%, but *if* she's septic she might really start to smell if not frozen. @Dee Dee 2 , any chance you can send her off for necropsy tomorrow instead of waiting to do you own on Wednesday?

If you are going to ship her do_not_freeze!

Two Texas labs in this link. Call them and see how much they charge (they're free in many States) and ask if you can use their FedEx account to ship.
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

This is from a thread I started:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/799747/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures
How to Send a Bird for a Necropsy​

They need the whole bird, refrigerated, not frozen. If you live in CA, there are four labs that do necropsies on poultry (chickens, turkeys, waterfowl) for free. I know that they do out of state necropsies, but I think they charge for those. You could call them and ask what they charge for out of state "backyard poultry". The lab I use is the one in Tulare, CA. If you are in CA, call them and ask for their FedEx account number, it will save a bunch on shipping charges.

CAHFS
18830 Road 112
Tulare, CA 93274-9042
(559) 688-7543
(559) 686-4231 (FAX)
[email protected]

The other labs are listed here:
http://www.cahfs.ucdavis.edu/services/lab_locations.cfm

If it's Friday, unless you want to overnight for Saturday delivery, I would suggest shipping on Monday for Tuesday delivery. What you need to do, if you haven't already done so, is put your bird in your refrigerator, NOT the freezer! Then you need to find a box, line it with styrofoam (I use the 4'x8'x1" stuff from Home Depot. You can also get smaller pieces at an art store like Michael's, but is way more expensive. Click here to see foam options. You'll also need at least one ice pack. Here are some pictures that I took of the last bird that I sent:

Box lined with foam on four sides and bottom. Seams of foam taped sealed.

Box, sides, bottom and and top.

Frozen ice pack in ziplock baggie.

Brown paper on top of ice pack.

Hen in ziplock baggie on top of brown paper.

Brown paper on top of hen.

Ice pack on top of brown paper.

Lid on top of brown paper.

Inside the box you should also include a submission form in a ziplock baggie. Do not tell anyone at FedEx that you're shipping a dead animal... that seems to really worry them. Just make sure that nothing will leak.

Hope this helps!

-Kathy

Last edited:
My pullet died this christmas eve... i wanted to do an autopsy but just didnt have time.. i froze her hoping i could rule out a few things... would i be able to determine whether she had worms or mareks after being frozen? If it is pointless i dont think i will... 2 other chickens are somewhat ill but they had severe lice and seem to be doing better since treatment of that.. but would like to have a better idea of the cause of death so i can help the others.

My pullet died this christmas eve... i wanted to do an autopsy but just didnt have time.. i froze her hoping i could rule out a few things... would i be able to determine whether she had worms or mareks after being frozen? If it is pointless i dont think i will... 2 other chickens are somewhat ill but they had severe lice and seem to be doing better since treatment of that.. but would like to have a better idea of the cause of death so i can help the others.
If she died from something like eyp, ascites or oviduct cancer that should be easy to spot even after being frozen.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom