R.C.R.I.R. autopsy what to look for ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dee Dee 2, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    The 4th of my chickens has died of this mysterious slow "out to lunch" death. I bundled her in a plastic bag and put her in the freezer. As soon as I can, probably next Wed. I am going to try and do an autopsy (I don't think that is the right word correct me please.) Any tips on how to do ? and what to look for ? I am taking her way across the pasture to do this. Health of the other chickens and preditor attraction from smell, feathers, and etc. How will I know what is normall inside / how should I open her up as not to mess things up inside. THANKS !

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I wouldn't put her body in the freezer, but in the refrigerator, wrapped very well. If you send of for a necropsy to a lab, the body won't be any good if frozen.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Normally I would agree 100%, but *if* she's septic she might really start to smell if not frozen. @Dee Dee 2 , any chance you can send her off for necropsy tomorrow instead of waiting to do you own on Wednesday?

If you are going to ship her do_not_freeze!

Two Texas labs in this link. Call them and see how much they charge (they're free in many States) and ask if you can use their FedEx account to ship.
    http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

This is from a thread I started:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/799747/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  5. bgrantalasykes

bgrantalasykes Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    My pullet died this christmas eve... i wanted to do an autopsy but just didnt have time.. i froze her hoping i could rule out a few things... would i be able to determine whether she had worms or mareks after being frozen? If it is pointless i dont think i will... 2 other chickens are somewhat ill but they had severe lice and seem to be doing better since treatment of that.. but would like to have a better idea of the cause of death so i can help the others.

6. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    Not sure if you could do a necropsy once frozen but what could it hurt to try?

This book has detailed info on how to do a neceopsy. Very helpful and clear.

Chicken Health For Dummies
    http://amzn.com/1118444272

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  7. bgrantalasykes

bgrantalasykes Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    Ok thank you!

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If she died from something like eyp, ascites or oviduct cancer that should be easy to spot even after being frozen.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by