R.I.P Louie

Peanut butter worked best as bait for me so far. I just smear it on the trigger plate so that the 'coon has to lick it off. That usually triggers the door. Unless you have a bear that some idi*t has caught and released in your area. 'coons are very quick learners…
One other thing, actually two things:
  1. Secure the trap, so that the coon cannot shake the bait to the wall and pull it through the mesh
  2. The mesh on most shop-bought traps is wide enough for a raccoon to reach inside and get the bait without going inside. I covered the bait-area of my trap with hardware cloth:

One other thing, actually two things:
  1. Secure the trap, so that the coon cannot shake the bait to the wall and pull it through the mesh
  2. The mesh on most shop-bought traps is wide enough for a raccoon to reach inside and get the bait without going inside. I covered the bait-area of my trap with hardware cloth:
Thanks for the tips!

Just found out that i have a trap-experienced raccoon lurking around my house. He managed to eat the peanut-butter two times out of the trap without triggering the door. Must be the same one on which i broke the handle of my scrubbing-brush.
Scary times! Safe night to all chickens, ducks, geese and other poultry!

I have friends that recommend using canned cat food to trap raccoons. They seem to have a 100% success rate with it.

Sorry to hear about your loss. This makes me fearful about our move next month. Nearest woods right now are 300 meters away. The ducks semi free range in a circle of 50 meter diameter mesh fence. So far no daytime attacks. We are moving to a heavily wooded area and my biggest fear is a daytime attack. Once I get the permanent fence up I will be putting high voltage electric on the outside just to be safe. Patches has a great chance. We had a Rouen pulled through the hardware cloth by a coyote that ignored the electric fence. The vet thought she had little chance but she pulled through with just some slight neurological issues. I wish you the best.

Sorry to hear about your loss. This makes me fearful about our move next month. Nearest woods right now are 300 meters away. The ducks semi free range in a circle of 50 meter diameter mesh fence. So far no daytime attacks. We are moving to a heavily wooded area and my biggest fear is a daytime attack. Once I get the permanent fence up I will be putting high voltage electric on the outside just to be safe
Do more then 30,000 volts.... That's what mine was and the creature didn't even care they got shocked three times...good luck moving and good good luck with your ducks

Thank you. I hope you can get some antibiotics in Patches soon. It does not matter if it’s a coyote, raccoon, or dog, they all have nasty bacteria in their bite.
So true. I didn't do it today because she was so horrified. Should I use iodine?

Well, a carpet shock is up to 25,000 volts. 30 probably wouldn't hurt that much more, so a stubborn animal might manage to put up with it.
Is there a list anywhere of what voltage animals will tolerate?
I'm curious; how do you know how many times it hit the fence? Do you have a recording, or hair on the fence?

Back
Top Bottom