Rabbit Fur Identification Thread

ANightPerson

Songster
7 Years
Oct 22, 2016
Massachusetts
Hello! I'm starting this thread for anyone to post pictures and ask questions about rabbit fur colors and patterns, including genetics. I'm not very educated on the subject, so feel free to answer anything that you can.

Two Fridays ago (Nov. 30th,) my first and favorite rabbit, Catfood, had a litter of five kits. Two left the nest too early and died, so there are three left. Their mama is Chestnut Agouti and their papa is Orange Agouti (though he has one small stripe of Chestnut on his butt.) One kit is Chestnut Agouti, but I'm having trouble identifying the other two. They look sort of Chestnut Agouti, but they look like they have a much, much longer black stripe which makes them look mostly black. Is this a separate pattern? One of the ones that died had this too.

Attachments

• IMG_20181215_134317.jpg
    IMG_20181215_134317.jpg
    628.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20181215_134208.jpg
    IMG_20181215_134208.jpg
    685.5 KB · Views: 25
Hey everyone, hoping for some opinions/ help with a breeding question. I currently have 2 bucks and 4 pedigreed Rex rabbits in my rabbitry. Finally ready to start breeding and i'm not sure which buck to pair with which doe.

I have a chocolate buck (great type great coloring) and a blue buck (lovely dark blue coloring okay type)
a black otter female, 2 lilac broken females (great coats good type), and a blue otter female (great type and color).

I havent been able to come across a great otter buck so thats been a challenge so far. any tips or pairing suggestions would be greatly appeciated :). Rabbits are for showing (but also meat and pets if temperment allows)

IMG_20190102_143725.jpg
IMG_20190102_142800.jpg
IMG_20190102_142444.jpg

Alright, they're a little older now and it's a bit easier to tell. Anyone have any guesses? I thought that they were some kind of steel, but they have cream bellies, and from what I've read, I don't think that the two go together. Their sire had a son that looked like this with his previous owner too.

In the Lop color guide, it states that a Steel's belly color should match the body color, but lighter is permissible.

Several other breeds that show in Steel want the belly color as close to the body color as possible; that clearly leaves open the possibility that the belly color can vary.

One of the Flemish Giant colors is Steel Gray, which is a Steeled Chinchilla or Silver-tipped Steel in other breeds. The Steel Gray is supposed to have a white belly surface color, per the breed standard.

In the Lop color guide, it states that a Steel's belly color should match the body color, but lighter is permissible.

Several other breeds that show in Steel want the belly color as close to the body color as possible; that clearly leaves open the possibility that the belly color can vary.

One of the Flemish Giant colors is Steel Gray, which is a Steeled Chinchilla or Silver-tipped Steel in other breeds. The Steel Gray is supposed to have a white belly surface color, per the breed standard.
She and her sister (I sexed them yesterday, three does!) are the product of two hybrids. Their dam is 1/2 Flemish Giant, 1/2 California Rex. Their sire is 1/2 Flemish Giant, 1/2 Lionhead. That makes them 1/2 Flenish Giant, 1/4 Lionhead, and 1/4 California Rex, but the fact that they're F2 (if you can even call it that, their parents are different hybrids) can change factors I suppose.
They definitely could've gotten the steel, but I can't find a picture of how the banding should look, if you do (or know anyone that does), does it look right in the second picture for steel? I think it does based on what I read, but I don't really trust my identification without getting something to look at.

Back
Top Bottom