Rabbit said what?!?

mandelyn

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Mt Repose, OH
My Coop
My Coop
So the bunnies are living in the house while we work on their hutch. I opened the crate door to let them out to play, since they're so sweet.

Anyways, I just heard one squeal, not like... bunny distress.... but a repeated "EEeee, EEeeee, Eeee". I thought it had gotten a foot stuck or something. But no, it was fine! I walked up and it looked up at me on back feet like "what?". Hopped out of the cage front and greeted me even.

I've never EVER heard a rabbit make a noise like... a Guinea pig squeal, ever.

Is it normal? What does it mean? I checked it over real good.. thinking maybe it had gas pains from the change in pellet types... but... nothing wrong with it, acting perfectly fine, sweet, social, full of play and antics.

idunno.gif

Last night I let her (MaryAnne) out to play with her bud Ginger, and she does seem to be a happy rabbit. She's brave, made it all the way from the side room, through the dining room, and into the living room to say Hi to my husband on the couch, while Ginger hung back by the cage. She happily sniffs at the dogs, jumps and flits around the house.

It can't be anything to do with mating, there's no boy, and they're only 8 weeks old. She must be loving life away from where she came from, outside wire hutch with many rabbits, and no house to hide in. Now she's indoors, with free range time, soft bedding and all kinds of food, much more than simple pellets.

She's the first bunny I've ever had that looks for me, follows me, and is always at the door when I get there. Every other one goes to the corner, or doesn't bother to move at all. Ginger doesn't care for me much. She'll hop on my lap on the ground and great me sometimes at the cage door, but no squeals of delight.
lol.png

Having raised hundreds of rabbits... Rabbits are prey and territorial animals. The only times that I have ever heard the loud Eeee, Eeee , Eeee sound is when the rabbit is in great distress and near death from a predator ( or perceived one) or attacked by another rabbit and in fear of impending death. Female rabbits can and do kill another female rabbit ( even litter mates)in territory / dominance battles at sexual maturity. Male rabbits fight and even kill other male rabbits for breeding rights to female rabbits in his territory at sexual maturity. Just facts of rabbit life !

Back
Top Bottom