sofiagrace901

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2019
a little less than a week ago, my buff orpington, kung pao, was attacked by a raccoon at 1 AM. her eye was swollen shut and she had a small wound on her neck and under her wing. all of these wounds are doing very well. she’s opening her eye on her own and it isn’t crusty anymore.

now for the bullying. my 2 other hens have been bullying her by pecking her on the head, so i have been keeping her inside the coop in a rabbit cage at night, and then locking the others out during the day to give kung pao space to eat/drink without getting bullied.

things are going well and she is moving around and drinking water on her own. i just don’t know what to do about the wound. it’s about an inch long. i’ve been applying coconut oil 1-2 times a day to keep it from drying out. i have heard of the antibiotic ointment terramycin, but will that help heal it as well as keep infection away? please suggest anything that can heal wounds as fast as possible. thank you!!

I also had a raccoon attack 2 of my silkies about a year ago... They both ended up with stitches and one had a broken wing... They had antibiotic shots for about 10 days to keep away infection and both of them made a great recovery! As for the bullying, what you doing seems to sound good, so keep up the good work! Hoping all goes well!:fl

Something sticky like triple antbiotic cream or niesporin. It will keep the wound covered and flys off.
If the wound is exposed keep her separated until feathers grow back and cover it.
This has worked for me several times, good luck!

i was thinking about neosporin and antibacterial cream. i just have heard coconut oil is a “natural” way to go, but at this point i just want her to heal. thank you so much :D

I also had a raccoon attack 2 of my silkies about a year ago... They both ended up with stitches and one had a broken wing... They had antibiotic shots for about 10 days to keep away infection and both of them made a great recovery! As for the bullying, what you doing seems to sound good, so keep up the good work! Hoping all goes well!:fl

that sounds rough! i’m glad they’re okay. thank you for your response :))

a little less than a week ago, my buff orpington, kung pao, was attacked by a raccoon at 1 AM. her eye was swollen shut and she had a small wound on her neck and under her wing. all of these wounds are doing very well. she’s opening her eye on her own and it isn’t crusty anymore.

now for the bullying. my 2 other hens have been bullying her by pecking her on the head, so i have been keeping her inside the coop in a rabbit cage at night, and then locking the others out during the day to give kung pao space to eat/drink without getting bullied.

things are going well and she is moving around and drinking water on her own. i just don’t know what to do about the wound. it’s about an inch long. i’ve been applying coconut oil 1-2 times a day to keep it from drying out. i have heard of the antibiotic ointment terramycin, but will that help heal it as well as keep infection away? please suggest anything that can heal wounds as fast as possible. thank you!!
Can you post some photos of her wounds?
For a wound to the eye, I would use Terramycin or plain triple antibiotic ointment.

For a wound to the eye, I would use Terramycin or plain triple antibiotic ointment.

sure. her eye is better, it’s really her head i’m concerned about.

Attachments

• EB78FD96-3422-4893-8537-3271AC96252C.jpeg
    EB78FD96-3422-4893-8537-3271AC96252C.jpeg
    357.1 KB · Views: 10
  • A3F24755-6FFE-48B4-B2CC-E5ED2DB056BF.jpeg
    A3F24755-6FFE-48B4-B2CC-E5ED2DB056BF.jpeg
    450.8 KB · Views: 11

here’s the most recent picture.

Attachments

• 34A855C0-41B2-4DBD-96F5-882FDFA4F23D.jpeg
    34A855C0-41B2-4DBD-96F5-882FDFA4F23D.jpeg
    543.6 KB · Views: 10
Poor thing!
Is she able to open the eye at all?
General care for the eye would be to flush with saline and apply an eye ointment like Terramycin. You can also use plain Neosporin in the eye as well.

The head wound, does that seem like it's closing up? No foul odors right? I would also use Neosporin on that.

You do mention she's drinking on her own, is she eating too?

Back
Top Bottom